Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Shipping shocks to TFT ?
  • weeksy

Who’s OK with posting shocks these days guys ?

Cheers.

moneytrain81
    Free Member

I sent my forks via Hermes last week. They arrived so obviously they were ok with it. Royal Mail won’t let you.

chakaping
    Free Member

Royal Mail are fine if you just tell them it’s a bike part.

Depends on your attitude to risk of course.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    nedrapier

I sent some via parcelforce last week. They arrived.

fenred
    Free Member

Sent my forks to TFT via their own courier booked on the website. they were picked up serviced, delivered back, no worries.

phy7tes
    Free Member

I had no idea that Royal Mail wouldn’t let you. I’ve posted a couple with the recently with no issues, just said it was a bike part.

woody74

Have a look at these guys and then you can use a decent courier like UPS for not a lot.

http://www.interparcel.com

andymc06
    Free Member

I used InPost which is a locker drop off delivery service. £10 fully insured. I was very impressed with the service. 3-5 days delivery though.

paddyb
    Free Member

Sent a fork using parcelforce last week and it was fine. Had an issue with royal mail destroying a package with brakes even though I told them it was a bike part.

squoglybob
    Free Member

I posted mine via Royal Mail a few weeks ago and paid extra for 24 Hour Delivery, posted just before 11 AM on the Monday and arrived the next day around 10 Ish,

Serviced that very afternoon and I had physically slow them down and ask that they were despatched back to arrive on the Friday so that there would be some one in to receive them.

euans2
    Free Member

Use TFT’s delivery option, it’s the safest option!

weeksy

Thanks guys.

Kuco

As I was visiting my mum there is a DHL depot not to far by so I used them. Probably not the cheapest but I couldn’t be arsed messing about, cost £14 for a RP23.

Thrustyjust
    Free Member

Think I sent mine to Loco about a year ago cheaply for about a fiver. Cant remember who it was with………… will have to shuffle to box out the loft to confirm that. Just pop down the M4 and drop it off at Tims and have a mooch round the workshops….I’ve done that before.

mikey74
    Free Member

JTech use Interlink and they’ve always seemed reliable and keep you informed by text of the movement of the package.

Molds

TFT use Interlink (part of DPD Group I think). I emailed Interlink to ask if they would take a fully extended and deflated bicycle air shock and they said no as the item is on their prohibited list!

I need to post an air shock (eBay sale) and cannot fine any courier willing to take it. OK, so I can lie like most people seem to be but this is big risk for me as the item is high value. Plus, I’m no legal eagle but I believe you could be in trouble for knowingly breaking the terms as well as having your item confiscated..?!

I don’t understand how manufacturers manage to move their good around or how shops and the likes of TFT manage it. Different rules for OEM / business to consumer?

LordFelchamtheIII
    Free Member

Sent via Royal Mail, me or the shock did not die.

Molds

I tried the Interparcel.com Live Chat…

Stacey: [14:02] Hello Matt. My name is Stacey. How can I help you?
    Matt: [14:02] I am trying to find a courier who will carry a mountain bicycle air shock.
    [14:02] It is deflated and in the fully extend position. Delivery is probably mainland UK (or possibly to Germany). Can you recommend a carrier?
    [14:02] Hi Stacey
    Stacey: [14:02] is there is gas or air onside the item or package
    Matt: [14:03] No gas. Just air. But I can deflate the item before packing.
    Stacey: [14:03] you can send the item with no air inside the parcel
    [14:04] but this can not be sent with air insode
    [14:04] with no air sorry
    Matt: [14:05] OK. Which carrier would that be with? For example I tried Interlink Express as I know they carry parcels for a shock tuning company. They said no, the item was on the prohibited items list. It is an expensive part so I dont want to have it confiscated.
    Stacey: [14:06] if this is an item can inflate in transit
    [14:06] we would not be able to take this
    Matt: [14:07] To inflate it you have to connect a pump to the item and pump it up.
    Stacey: [14:08] oh then this would be fine to send
    Matt: [14:08] The item is a hard carbon can type thing e.g. not soft so pressure shouldn’t have any real affect on it.
    Stacey: [14:09] i can confirm that you are fine to send thsi
    [14:09] this
    Matt: [14:10] I’m just concerned about it being confiscated or the courier refusing once they have a description. As I say InterLink said no and they are part of the DPD Group and I see you partner with DPD.
    [14:10] I’m glad you say it is OK but I am not sure how to proceed with confidence..?
    Stacey: [14:11] we use dpd service and other couriers
    Matt: [14:12] I see Parcel Force listed as well. Royal Mail refuse to take bicycle shocks…
    Stacey: [14:12] with the description you have advised we are able to take this
    Matt: [14:12] OK. Well if you are 100% sure my item is going to be safe with you then I’ll be back once my eBay auction concludes.
    [14:13] Oh, and you are OK to send to Germany if necessary?
    Stacey: [14:13] uk mainland fine
    [14:13] outside no i am very sorry
    Matt: [14:14] OK. Fair enough; at least I know. Presumably that’ll be the response from any courier for an item like this?
    Stacey: [14:14] yes that is correct
    Matt: [14:15] Out of curiosity, do manufacturers / businesses have different rules applied than consumers? I’m just wondering how they move their stock around e.g. shocks made in USA / Taiwan.
    Stacey: [14:15] i am very sorry i am not aware on this
    [14:15] i wouldnt be able to comment
    Matt: [14:15] OK
    [14:16] That is all then Stacey. Thank you for your help.

Molds

Interparcel’s prohibited / restricted items: –

http://www.interparcel.com/help/prohibited-and-restricted-items.php

spacehopper

I think some couriers also distinguish between..

brand new part in original (and i guess in theory ‘safe’)unopened packaging

and

second hand part wrapped in bubble wrap (it doesnt matter to them safe this is made)

(royal mail certainly did/do this with batteries..)

which would help explain how manufacturers move their stock around…
    large companies would also be able to negotiate beforehand with couriers etc when moving their stock around and put specific insurance in place if needed i guess..?

random bloke turns up at the post office with one parcel and its just a safer bet for royal mail to refuse it or ‘destroy it’ as they will have no idea / guarantee of the packaging safety..

and whilst most people will package stuff well.. ive had some ‘interesting’ packaging in the past from private sellers..!

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Shipping shocks to TFT ?’ is closed to new replies.