Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Shipping a bike to NZ – GST
  • sirweste
    Free Member

Hi,

Has anyone got experience of this. I have bought a bike off eBay for my girlfriend and I’m about to ship it out to her, to be used out there for 6 months and then 6 months in canada before returning here.

Does anyone know if we will get hit with the import/GST charge? I know with motor vehicles you can avoid it by owning them for 1 year in the UK.

I assume leaving the customs value at zero on the shipping note will draw attention!

Cheers very much for any help
    Ryan

ampthill

I clicked on thsi as i once air freighted twobikes back from New Zealand. So I’m no real use

however its singltrack. Not knowing shouldn’t stop us typing

The main thing is to make it clear to customs thats its not an import, its un accompanied baggage. ie it will not remain in the country. I assume GF is not kiwi as that will help establish its not an import

No one stopped me bringing a bike into NZ as luggage

PaulD
    Free Member

Importing to NZ will require the item to be sterile…and I do not just mean pressure-washed.
    My brother in law had to wash everything in Jeyes Fluid before loading his container.
    If not, you will get a frightening bill from NZ Customs to clean it before assessment.

He drew the line at his MTB and all the garden ‘tools’…he just left them here.

I would buy locally and forget shipping one.

PaulD

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    edlong
    Free Member

what ampthill said – you need to declare that the thing is in the country temporarily and will be leaving again. Not sure how you do this though, I’ve only done it with accompanied things, i.e. at Auckland Airport with about five grands worth of video equipment and a 12 month visa: Nope, for my own use, I’ll be taking it back out with me when I leave.

Also, what PaulD said: they do take their bio-security very, very seriously.

ampthill

we heard so much about bio security and were prepared for hell at Aukland

In the the end we rolled to cleanish bikes and a bag of well used tent pegs in without a glance

sirweste
    Free Member

Cheers for the help gents.
    Sounds like great news to me then.

One final question – as FedEx had me on hold for 30mins before I gave up – the customs value on the shipping details…thats the value of the bike, so £1900 in this case?

Cheers again, such a relief!
    Ryan

ampthill

How much are fe ex charging?

When I looked into it the courier was expensive. I went direct to an airline and then did the taking to and collecting from the airport myself. Saved a fortune. I also did the customs clearing myself

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Shipping a bike to NZ – GST’ is closed to new replies.