Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Shipping a bike to Africa…
  • tootallpaul

… anyone ever done such a thing?

And no, I haven't sold a bike to a strange man on the classifieds.

I'm on a two year placement with the VSO in Ethiopia, and I'm beginning to really miss having my bike around. One of my friends will box it up for me, but I just wanted to see if anyone out there had done similar befoe???

Cheers all…

P

PS- Its an Inbred 29er, with rack etc, so not a lightwieght machine.

tootallpaul

I've had a quote from an excess baggage company for £307…

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

excess bagage is hideously expensive, just ask parcelforce for a quote, or there's a few search engines that will find you the cheepest quote.

KT1973
    Free Member

I had collegues who moved their belongings to Africa when being posted there for a couple of years. It will depend on customs dept and how honest they are as to if/when you receive your bike. It would be better if it was physically travelling with someone

freeganbikefascist
    Free Member

no-one coming to visit you who can bring it to you or visit home planned so you could bring it back as checked-in?

trouble with shipping liek that (P-force etc) is you get into customs declarations, which can turn into a nightmare depending on the system in the country your importing into. I've not lived in Ethiopia but I can tell you that china is a bl**dy PITA, I'd sooner fly to london and bring the stuff back in check-in.

how about asking the guys you're working with, perhaps VSO can help out?

good on you for doing VSO btw, I hope you're enjoying it, I know there's sod all cash in the system and you're effectively volunteering so props to you

tootallpaul

thisnotaspoon- parcelforce quote was £683. They work it out on Volumetric weight, so a bike box according to them is 75kg.

Where are the search engines for getting quotes on shipping?

KT1973- yep, would be better if it was travelling with someone, but my first visitor won't be till september, and I'm keen to get the bike sooner…

qwerty
    Free Member

could you get it into a big blue plastic barrel?

thats what most of the shipping agents seem to use in Tottenham for the shipping of family goods to / from Africa – i'm guessing it goes by sea

many outlets down West Green Road, N15 should be able to sort you out

tootallpaul

freegan, No plans to come home due to money contraints.

freeganbikefascist
    Free Member

yeah …. figures (the money constraints bit)

couple (ok, 3) of suggestions for you;

1. whore traveller forum sites, maybe someone would be willing to bring it out for you (a stretch, but you never know when you may get lucky)
    2. Get a local bike or loaner for the next 6 months
    3. Bug VSO / other NGO dudes in the area, they *must* have other people / materials going back and forth who can help you out

tootallpaul

Freegan,

Cheers buddy- all good ideas…

I already have a bike here- but to say its not very good is an understatement…

I'm tempted on the excess-baggage quote- some people here have done similar with suitcases, and that way it would be sorted nice and quick.

P

tootallpaul

On further investigation, I've decided to come home for a holiday in May- I would have been in country at that point for 3 months, and it would be nice to get back, pick my bike up, catch up with friends… Cost wise, its a little more expensive than shipping, but I get a lot more out of it…

Then I can return with my bike and then do lots of riding!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Shipping a bike to Africa…’ is closed to new replies.