Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • Shiny new CCDB
  • randomjeremy
    Free Member

Oh god I’m so excited!

steve_b77
    Free Member

Man how I’d love one of those for my Nic.

Overkill on a 130mm travel bike?

geetee1972
    Free Member

Oh man you should be excited. It will blow you way. They really are as good as everyone says they are.

Steve – not remotely overkill, it is still just a damper and whether you have one with a coil spring and air spring, more dials less dials etc, you still need to have one between the swing arm and the main frame, so why not have one that works really really well as opposed to just averagely well?

The only real considerations are cost and weight. If neither of those two factors are an issue, then it’s about the easiest decision you’ll ever make.

What Nicolai are you riding? I have a CCDB on my Helius AM. If you’re ever down in the Surrey Hills you’d be welcome to try it.

resisted
    Free Member

Lovely!

Been so tempted by one for the Mojo, but I would love to try one out to try and justify the expense, as I’m sure with a Ti spring it will offer greater performance to a re-valved RP23, but is it £600 difference?

z1ppy

Overkill on a 130mm travel bike?

<pedant model> but 5’s are 140mm</pedant mode>

<tut>.. you might have at least washed the bike pre fitting the shock…</tut>

bigyinn
    Free Member

Might want to clean that bike a little and the fence needs painting ASAP.

steve_b77
    Free Member

Geetee – it’s a CC, you know the spangly candy red one.

I live in Hampton Hill, so sometimes I ride down that way when I’ve got a day off during the week.

z1ppy – I meant mine, not the ‘made in yarkshire from girders’ one in the pic 😆

z1ppy

ahhhh sorry… 😳

creamegg
    Free Member

I have one on my Five too and love it. so much better than the RP23. Just feels right. Would have gone for The Ti spring which is £200 extra but wasn’t available for the 190×50 size (although I think you can get a Ti spring from Nukeproof for that size but apparently the finish is no where near as good as CCDB ones).

now get some mud on it so it matches the rest of the bike!

popstar
    Free Member

Did OP get a good deal on it?

randomjeremy
    Free Member

£450 delivered Freeflow bikes, seems like a good deal

geetee1972
    Free Member

Cane Creek Ti springs only come in 3″ and 3.5″ strokes as I remember. The Nukeproof ones do fit; not sure what difference the finish makes as long as it saves weight.

messiah
    Free Member

Pretty sure LoCo’s diverse springs will fit as they are 36.3mm I.D. which is the same as Cane Creek.

http://locotuning.co.uk/dsp-titanium-springs.html

They will also still scuff on the stupid black plastic “protector sleeve” then :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

my ccdb and alpine 160 in just out the box mode

messiah
    Free Member

*Don’t think about the weight*

CCDB = 500g + 500g for the spring = 1000g.

Float/RP23 = 280g

To spring will save you 150g… so CCDB and Ti spring = 850g

popstar
    Free Member

Am I wrong to think that CCDB on 140mm bike would be a bit niche ? Was thinking about it long time ago … at least it would be an improvement over Float R. Thought CCDB looks just about right on 160mm bikes but 140mm surely it pushes it?

Mike
    Free Member

Not really, considering what a 140mm travel bike let’s you get away with these days…anyone after one in size 215 x 63 😉

popstar
    Free Member

Heh need to conjure up finances and place an order on 200×57.

randomjeremy
    Free Member

popstar depends I guess, I only have one bike to cover everything from mincing around the woods to mincing around DH tracks and mincing around the Alps. Not worried about the weight, I’m a fat bastard, I should think about losing a few stone and cutting out the fags before being worried about how much the bike weighs 🙂

deandorsie
    Free Member

why Mike? you selling one in that size? if so….

geetee1972
    Free Member

anyone after one in size 215 x 63

Pretty sure a mate of mine will take it off your hands. Can you ping me an email, address is in the profile. Let me know how much you want for it.

si-wilson
    Free Member

Am I wrong to think that CCDB on 140mm bike would be a bit niche ? Was thinking about it long time ago … at least it would be an improvement over Float R. Thought CCDB looks just about right on 160mm bikes but 140mm surely it pushes it?

not wrong at all. Why have your frame/bike hamstrung by poor shocks? I really don’t subscribe to the thought a good coil is over kill for any bike. Your bike either has a good shock on it or it doesn’t. the extra pound of weight is far out weighed by the quality of a good rear shock.

popstar
    Free Member

Wouldn’t it be silly to have CCDB with average forks upfront? Guess Bombers RC3Ti or at least Vanilla’s should accomplish it. Anyone run it with Lyrics? How do they fare with CCDB?

Rik
    Free Member

Don’t really think people can comment on the performance or advantage of a CCDB until you have ridden a well set up CCDB.

On the reverse though a CCDB is only as good as the set up. A badly set up one will perform far worse than a well set up RP23.

popstar
    Free Member

Rik you clearly like to spoil excitment. Performance alone in that shock is awesome and then there comes mighty bling! Only thing though, if rider isn’t seen riding bike fast … he will be burned in hell by all attention whores at a trailside.

zangolin
    Free Member

I just got one of them to..

About to go + have a tune and ride session on it now!

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

not wrong at all. Why have your frame/bike hamstrung by poor shocks? I really don’t subscribe to the thought a good coil is over kill for any bike. Your bike either has a good shock on it or it doesn’t. the extra pound of weight is far out weighed by the quality of a good rear shock.

Because in 99% of cases the limiting factor on the bike is the person driving it, not the shock.

fbk
    Free Member

Zangolin – that does actually look lovely. And gold cables – you really have researched this haven’t you 😉

geetee1972
    Free Member

Because in 99% of cases the limiting factor on the bike is the person driving it, not the shock.

I don’t understand your logic here.

Do you mean that no matter how good or otherwise a rider is, that because they aren’t riding their bike to the absolute limit of its capability that they therefore can’t experience a performance improvement from something like a CCDB?

The rider is ALWAYS going to be the limiting factor on ANY bike.

randomjeremy
    Free Member

guys please don’t threadshit this up, even if Hob Nob’s post is shorting my logic circuits. More pictures of CCDBs please! 🙂

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

I don’t understand your logic here.

Do you mean that no matter how good or otherwise a rider is, that because they aren’t riding their bike to the absolute limit of its capability that they therefore can’t experience a performance improvement from something like a CCDB?

The rider is ALWAYS going to be the limiting factor on ANY bike.

No, i’m saying there is many, many better ways of spending the (large) amount of cash to improve your riding rather than on something that will perplex the majority of users due to not understanding the way a shock works.

Plus I don’t think they are the revolutionary difference that some make them out to be….

Now there’s a can of worms.

Still, if the OP is happy with his purchase, then that’s all that matters really.

creamegg
    Free Member

here’s mine strait out of the box with some other new shiny bits

DSC01385 by darren.lee.evans, on Flickr

DSC01564 by darren.lee.evans, on Flickr

ready for action at Afan.

Im only an average rider but i’ve definately noticed the difference both in climbing/pedalling and on the rough stuff. i’d never go back to the standard RP23 now (which is for sale if anyone wants it)

Kbrembo
    Free Member

zangolin
    Free Member

Looks interesting – Proto CCDB airshock up at Fort Bill.
    From Dirt website

messiah
    Free Member

Why has it taken this long?

pomona
    Free Member

Just fitted one on my 06 S-works Enduro along with a set of Vans up front.
    Quite simply the best upgrade I’ve fitted to a bike ever.
    Felt fantastic straight out the box with the ‘factory’ settings, spent a couple of days riding the same short sections of trail adjusting the settings and it feels even better now.

Defo worth spending some time getting it set up properly. Read the manual so you understand exactly how it works and then go out with a pen and paper and make small adjustments each time and take a note of what you’ve done.

northeastAndy
    Free Member

Just ordered a CCDB for my enduro today, guys at TF tuned were very helpful.
    Will post pics once it is fitted

edd

My CCDB:

messiah
    Free Member
    robsoctane
    Free Member

@ Hobnob: ‘the majority of users do not understand the way it works’

is this shock is so complicated that only you understand it? Frankly, I’m offended. It’s a shock, not a nuclear reactor. 😉

That Scalpel is damn sexy, good luck to yer…

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)

The topic ‘Shiny new CCDB’ is closed to new replies.