Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Shinty Hurling.
  • wanmankylung
    Free Member

Anyone ever watched it? Looks like a mental sport.

onehundredthidiot

I watch most years. Properly mental swinging chunks of wood around.

wanmankylung
    Free Member

It was on today. Good to see Scotland being good at a sport.

gordimhor

Real amateurs playing a real man’s game for the glory and the craic unlike the over paid prima Donnas in the rugby world cup

wanmankylung
    Free Member

I love that they all do the Happy Gilmore when taking a set piece.

ChubbyBlokeInLycra
    Free Member

Been to the camanachd cup final the past few years. Brilliant atmosphere and excellent day out. This years (Oban) was a classic. I’d always advise anyone traveling up north to check out the Camanachd Association website to see if they can catch a game. The pitches, especially on the west coast, are usually in spectacular locations.
    EDIT this years camanachd cup final is on youtube [video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xkL4OSoNVoo[/video]

kilo

Is it different to proper hurling?

wanmankylung
    Free Member

Yip – Scotland plays shinty, Ireland play hurling in the same game. 3,2,1 scoring.

gordimhor

Yes I believe they play shinty rules in Scotland and hurling rules in Ireland

athgray
    Free Member

Seen shinty. Seen hurling, but never seen the cross code match played every year.

onehundredthidiot

The under 21s took a hiding though.

mute
    Free Member

My sister was playing in the womens’ match today and I have played a couple of games when at uni(an excuse for a drinking trip to Dublin not the internationals). It is brilliant fun and absolute carnage.

wanmankylung
    Free Member

Seen shinty. Seen hurling, but never seen the cross code match played every year.

It’s on iPlayer.

gordimhor

Spent this season watching my local team go a whole season without a win…

wanmankylung
    Free Member

My middle child plays for his school team. They play in a league that is comprised of some of the larger shinty clubs junior teams. Two years ago the school side got pumped in every single game, last year they drew most games, this season so far they have won most of the games they’ve played.

Shinty is a great game to watch.

gordimhor

It is a great game to watch Very fast like ice hockey on grass.

slowoldman

Used to be on the telly on a Saturday afternoon, along with scrambling, sporting car trials (which was mistakenly referred to as hillclimbing) and wrestling.

Northwind

THe cross code matches are genius, we should do that with football and rugby football.

joshvegas
    Free Member

[video]https://youtu.be/lztiCxIxpdA[/video]

duckman

We used to time a weekend in a mates static in Newtonmore for the same weekend as the Coach final…Utter,utter carnage!

twixhunter
    Free Member

Went to a final between Newtonmoore and Kingussie years ago.

Scenes.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Used to practice hurling for fun with my Irish mates at Uni, never played a match and had no desire to do so as its mental.

perchypanther
    Free Member

Good to see Scotland being good at a sport.

Has such a thing ever happened?
    Don’t you remember the 1998 “Being like Scotland” Championships when we got pumped out in the first round by Lithuania? 😳

wanmankylung
    Free Member

Second leg today 4:30 BBC Alba.

epicyclo

Northwind – Member
    THe cross code matches are genius, we should do that with football and rugby football.

The wendyball fairies would break. 🙂

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Shinty Hurling.’ is closed to new replies.