Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Shingles; experiences and tips please.
  • duckman

So it would appear my recent episode of manflu is actually a legitimate ailment. How long before I don’t want to sleep all day,actually have an appetite/ aren’t freezing to death no matter the temp?

thegreatape
    Free Member

It’s horrible isn’t it. The spasms seem to go after a month and a half. I had it on my face 🙁

scotroutes

My missus gets the rash on the back of her leg occasionally. Doesn’t seem to have any other symptoms.

allan23
    Free Member

Once you start the anti-virals a few days recovery from the general feeling like crap. Took me a week to feel right.

Nerve pain was a bit longer, that took about a month to calm down. Wasn’t too bad just a bit overly sensitive where the sore bits had been.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Get well soon duckman

thepurist

I was living by the painkiller clock for about a week, felt rough for at least another week then it took a fair while for the pain to fade completely, maybe a couple of months or more. I’d been to the doc the day before the rash appeared complaining of chest pains, but was told I was fine…

deadkenny
    Free Member

All I know is Shakin’ Stevens ain’t got time to fix them.

john_drummer
    Free Member

Stings likes bugger for a good couple of weeks after you’ve run out of antivirals. I took two days off but loss of earnings outweighed the sting

duckman

Also coincides with the purchase made on the back of my “what hardtail for £1200” thread….fantastic; my first new bike in three years and it isn’t going anywhere soon. Like it Kenny!

rOcKeTdOg

If its any where near your eyes seek treatment asap, my dad didn’t & has lost the sight in one eye through nerve damage, caused cornea ulcers & lots of complications.

i_like_food

I recommend amatryptaline (SPL?) as a painkiller to help you sleep, my shingles was preventing me sleeping and after a week on 1 hr/night I was cracking at the edges. The doc was great when he could see I was in bits and those helped a great deal.

1 week of minging nerve pain and 2 weeks of discomfort was pretty much it for me. Was riding after that first week though, so good luck with it (and the new bike!).

PS i guess the location is significant. Ouch to the guy who had it on his face, mine was on my back/chest.

whatyadoinsucka
    Free Member

I had it on my right shoulder arm, lasted a couple of weeks, felt like electric shocks, went to a good friends wedding and my arm was dancing before the disco at night..

Still got the scars, as above if near eyes go seek advice. My doctor said their was nothing he could do, and just rest and take painkillers, i was covering a maternity at work and she was handing over and started some nonsense that she shouldn’t be near her and even though I told the doctor and he said it was nothing to worry about she still went off on one, I think she just wanted some time off,

Hope it gets better soon, it will

RAGGATIP
    Free Member

I had this after I did a multi day bicycle race last year. The shingles didn’t last long though. Sweated profusely in bed a couple of nights I thought that was my body just recovering from the race and getting back into regular sleep patterns. Then the rash appeared which I thought was an allergy initially. I thought the rash would go away with some savlon but it didn’t. Did some research on the net and found out it was shingles which the doctor confirmed and he gave me some pills. I finished the whole course although the rash had disappeared within about a week of appearing.

My advice go to the doctor, get him to verify what it is you think you have and prescribe you the pills and don’t scratch the rash or you may be left with scarring. No sign of them on my back at all.

Hope you get well soon.

cr4sh
    Free Member

I was prescribed aminotriptaline (?) too for the same – was fortunate (?) it was xmas hols as they knocked me out till midday and could make coherent words by about 3pm. Did about 3 or 4 days of them before i decided heavy single malt usage was the way forward.

sl2000

I had 5 days in hospital with mine, then another week in bed – but then only took a month to get back on the bike, and I was racing again 10 weeks after.

The pain however has not gone a year on. It’s not serious, but is blooming annoying.

jekkyl

Been playing adult jumperoo with a new person Op?

matt_outandabout

I spent a week feeling crap.
    A further week whimpering in a dark room, cold and sweating like a pig in a butchers.
    Another week knackered.
    It took a month further to regain my energy and feel ‘right’.

duckman

I haven’t Jekkyl, well not with a new person. Actually having just googled that,you are a class act,aren’t you?

jekkyl

No mate, you’ve got me wrong I didn’t mean any std. The shingles (chickenpox) virus can be reawakened with physical contact with a person you haven’t been with before. This is how it happened with me. I wish you no ill will and all the bes for a speedy recovery.

duckman

Sorry, I googled shingles/STD and got pictures of the HIV rash. Cranky,grumpy and itchy,my bad.

slimjim78
    Free Member

Jesus, didn’t realise it was so common.
    So is shingles like the good hiv?

footflaps

The Doc is just being nice, you all have Cat Aids and it’s the bad type.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I managed to get it in my left testicle.

Pain/swelling started about a week before the rash appeared further down my leg (same nerve, hence it working it’s way down). Felt like I’d been kicked in the nuts, constantly, with DrMartens, for a fortnight.

No advice to give, just hope that little titbit is enough to make you think “well it could be worse, that one guy had this in a far more sensitive area!”.

duckman

Spoon,I feel much better. But am somewhat closely monitoring my nuts…Bored y’see.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Shingles; experiences and tips please.’ is closed to new replies.