Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Shin splints
  • matt_outandabout

So tell me about how I sort them out….
    13 miles from Ben Alder bothy, with 8 miles odd on hard loch road carrying big rucsac and extra bag of rubbish from bothy, with tight cyclists calf’s = me in agony… 🙁

carlosg
    Free Member

Ibuprofen and MTFU 😉

I’m a postie and get them the first week back after 2 weeks away with the family and this method gets me through.

DISCLAIMER: this may or may not work for you!

matt_outandabout

lol

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    soobalias
    Free Member

rest, compression socks……
    at the same time ibuprofen, mtfu and cross your fingers its just shin splints

oooh oooh oooh, can i be first to say that you need proper expensive trainers and get your gate analysis done?

wwaswas

get your gate analysis done?

5 bar?

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Shinsplints eh?? Yeah- I got issued a pair of them when I joined up. 😕

To be fair the advice we were given was on how to tie your laces up differnetly, so as not put put the same strains on yer shins.

Running in boots for the next 12yrs never really did anything but make ’em worse, but in the end, it was just a case off accepting it was gonna hurt, and rest for as long as (not) possible…

Sorry Matt, hardly sage advice I know. But even now, I still sufffer from them…

DrDomRob
    Free Member

Sounds to me like you need to change the way you run.

Possibly change your footwear.

There is a lot of information out there, I personally am a convert to bare foot, but…. once you have the pain, there is little other than rest that will get rid of it.

However, once you are walking / running comfortably again run slowly and concentrate on walking / running with good technique… I did this by ditching shoes and walking barefoot as much as possible.

There is a lot of info about as I said before, but a good bet is the harvard bare foot running site: http://barefootrunning.fas.harvard.edu/

nicko74

tight cyclists calf’s

This. According to a couple of physios, shin splints results from tight calves, pulling on where they anchor to your lower shin causing the tendon can become incredibly inflamed.

Rest, obviously, until it improves.
    Stretch your calves twice a day every day in that time, and beyond. Also, my physio recommended a hot water bottle on the muscles themselves, to loosen them a bit, allowing you to massage out any particular knots.
    Don’t try MTFU, it doesn’t help!

surfer
    Free Member

Ignore advice to go barefoot.

As above anti inflamatories, Ice and rest. Dont stress them again until the pain has disapeared, in my experience they are not something you can ignore/run through they only get worse.

Stretch your calves twice a day every day in that time, and beyond

No evidence that stretching has any benefit.

highclimber
    Free Member

this is a good vid that explains what shin splints are and how to alleiviate them

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HCjQJHeiUUQ&feature=channel&list=UL[/video]

argoose
    Free Member

Slow down and make sure your laces are not too tight.
    If your boots go higher than your ankles make sure that the section where your feet bend to meet shins the laces aren’t crossed, looks like you’ve missed a hole.

nosemineb
    Free Member

Ime it was a combination of tight calves and too much too soon.
    Try stretching by kneeling on your bed with your feel flat so the sole is up and lean back a touch.
    Strengthen by leaning with your back against a wall, feet just in front of wall 30cm or so, lift toes as high as you can then back down. so your rocking on your heel. repeat as often as you can.
    or get an old innertube and wrap it round something heavy and your feet and pull against that, so your sat pulling your toes back.
    It helped me.
    See a physio to. Might got progressivly worse and eventually stopped me running. That was a few years ago and ive not had it since.

matt_outandabout

To be fair the advice we were given was on how to tie your laces up differnetly, so as not put put the same strains on yer shins.

Hmm, I was using a new pair of Salomon boots, and the ‘pull to tighten’ lace system was a pig, and felt too tight.

Cheers for advice, stretching looks like a real help. ALready on brufen and elevated at night with ice on.

matt_outandabout

And ‘barefoot’ aint going to work in the mountains with big pack…

argoose
    Free Member

Down hill walking with a pack on is a killer on shins

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Shin splints’ is closed to new replies.