Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Shin guards
  • aracer
    Free Member

I’m after some shin and calf protection – ie I want something which wraps round the back of the leg, rather than just having straps and open bits, as I’m getting pedal bites there. Would also like something which isn’t too hot, which appears to be an issue for some, as even in current weather I’m out in tees and 3/4s. Don’t need knee protection that much at the moment and would prefer just shin guards, but not totally averse to shin/knee if that’s the best option.

Any recommendations? Also any comments on sizing – I’m 5’9″ and lightish built. Thanks.

jedi

look for some old roach/race face pads

aracer
    Free Member

bump?

chr15
    Free Member

661 veggies have quite a bit of coverage on the back, take the edge off most pedal strikes to the calf for me anyhoo… I have large and they fit well despite me being 5’8-9 and having plenty of scrawn.

aracer
    Free Member

661 veggies have quite a bit of coverage on the back, take the edge off most pedal strikes to the calf for me anyhoo… I have large and they fit well despite me being 5’8-9 and having plenty of scrawn.

Thanks – I was looking at those, but have seen reports that they’re a bit hot. How do you find them? (then again I suppose I won’t be worrying too much about that for 3-4 months, so could get them for now).

chakaping
    Free Member

The veggies are not that hot IMO, I used to wear them in summer.

Did you just switch to flats then? I got lacerated calves for a while after I did.

lunge

The challenge you’ve got is that to cover both shin and calf you need a lot of material which needs to be padded on both front and back. This is never going to be cool in any way.

chr15
    Free Member

quite warm i suppose, they’ve staved off the appearance of the winter longs, but weren’t all that uncomfortable in the summer. Pretty sticky under there but no more so than socks get or under the camelback straps…

cookeaa

I’ve got some older version Fox launch jobbies knee/shin, hard shell front full wrap aroung the back.

The Trouble is the knee cup always slumps down so they don’t really save your knee in a stack, dunno if the current version are any better, I think I’d rather just have a good knee pad than a fully enclosed shin/calf and crap knee protection…

would provide the “best of both” to use separate knee and shin protection say a veggie shin with a pair of Kyle straights perhaps?

I tend only to bother with my Evo knees now TBH, but winter coming I can see shins being an idea…

aracer
    Free Member

Did you just switch to flats then?

Yes. On a unicycle. I’d not been doing so badly, but in the last couple of days I’ve come off on a downhill (one I’d done successfully loads of times before) and scraped a pedal down my calf, then yesterday while practicing hopping I twice smashed a pedal into my shin when coming off – once with a metal pinned pedal, the first time I’d hit myself with one of those (my other uni has plastic-pinned pedals which aren’t so bad). Lots of blood, and my legs are a bit of a mess – don’t really want to go smashing a pedal into where I’ve already got cuts.

chakaping
    Free Member

I was going to say you sort of learn how not to cut your calves up after a while, not standing close to bike when you get off etc. – but god knows whether that applies to unicycles!

I only usually bother with knee pads, but when riding steeper stuff than usual in the Alps this summer I made a bit of a mess of my legs…

VanHalen

nowt wrong with cheapo bmx shin pads.

yes they are like a wetsuit but they do work.

aracer
    Free Member

You call that a mess?

My leg this morning (I only tend to do it on my left leg, as my right stays on the pedal when mounting and dismounting).

I was going to say you sort of learn how not to cut your calves up after a while, not standing close to bike when you get off etc. – but god knows whether that applies to unicycles!

What you do with your legs when you get off on purpose is the least of your worries. In fact one of the ones in the piccy is due to missing the pedal when trying to get on.

aracer
    Free Member

Thanks all – have ordered some veggies.

aracer
    Free Member

Veggies appear to be out of stock – has anybody tried the new 661 Riot pads (of any variety) – they seem to be the replacement and what I’m now looking at getting.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Shin guards’ is closed to new replies.