Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Shimano/Crankbrother Mallet type pedals
  • muddylegs
    Free Member

Experiences please of Shimano/Crankbrother Mallet type pedals. Disadvantage and advantages over normal clipless pedals?

warpcow
    Free Member

You mean ones with a platform?

Somewhere to put your foot if you miss clipping in. Other than that, not much. That is quite useful, though.

scotroutes

Candys have a small platform. I find that relieves a bit of pressure on the sole of your foot which is handy on longer and multi-day rides.

muddylegs
    Free Member

Yep that’s word warpcow 😉

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Mallet, prefer the DH for bigger feet over the standard or the E.
    In the gravity world they are probably the benchmark of pedals. They actually support and grip the show too so more flat like at times with the obvious plus of clips, happily descended some fun stuff unclipped before. Engagement in and out is positive and good but you may need to shim the cleats.
    Bearings can be done in 20 mins with basic tools.

Downside? Weight (not much)
    Not great with xc/plastic soled. Shoes

Del
    kimbers
    carlos
    Free Member

Del – Member

time

^^^ +1

I was 3 or 4 years ago a long time fan of the Mallets but got sick to death of having to rebuild them every couple of months, yes I know the CB reliability issues have apparently been sorted, but since discovering Time/Mavic I’ll not be swayed back.

Time/Mavic – Good platform, easy engagement/release, great longevity, not too weighty, reasonable pricing

muddylegs
    Free Member

So am I’m to assume that they can be easier to ‘find the pedal’ and re-engage after you’ve unclipped on a techie bit?

jam-bo

crankbros the nicest boxes to send them back in when they fall apart.

duir
    Free Member

Don’t bother with Crank Brothers if you live anywhere that requires big hike a bikes or if you clip in and out a lot. Their brass cleats are made of butter and wear out in no time.

scotroutes

Not IME, and I do a fair bit of HAB. It might depend on the sole of course. I tend to favour a very walking-boot type. A more racy type could be an issue as the cleat is more exposed. The cleats on my Gran Canions have been on for more than two years.

carlos
    Free Member

muddylegs – Member
    So am I’m to assume that they can be easier to ‘find the pedal’ and re-engage after you’ve unclipped on a techie bit?

Yes, both Time and CB are (imo) easier to “find the pedal” as you put when re engaging

fwiw, 2x riding buddies have converted to Mavic/Time after a quick carlark ride, both were Shimano pedal fan boys until that point

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Shimano/Crankbrother Mallet type pedals’ is closed to new replies.