Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Shimano Zee rear mech… any good?
  • bowie278
    Free Member

Hi guys,

Rear mech went on me last night so it’s rear mech shopping time. I run a 1×10 setup with a 32t at the front and 11-36 cassette. I’ve heard the Shimano Zee mechs are great for the kind of setup I’ve got and are pretty bombproof. Does anyone have an experience with them?

Thanks in advance.

cubemeup
    Free Member

I run the same with a zee

5thElefant
    Free Member

I’ve just built one with that spec. It was a bit fussy to setup but works fine.

Rosss
    Free Member

IMO it’s just a strong version of XT. Ran one on my DH bike and my 1×10 enduro bike and I love them. Only reason I’d change is if I needed a wider range.

zigzag69
    Free Member

Possibly worth a read?

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/zee-mech-failures

Mine’s has been fine since July, probably only done 2-300 miles though.

YoKaiser
    Free Member

IMO it’s just a strong version of XT

From what I can ascertain and from having the Zee and XT in front of me is that there are a fair few differences, with the XT having the better parts, for instance the pressed cable actuation arm that is twisted in the above thread is a cast item on XT. I also think that the clutch mechanism may be different as well. AFAIK the Zee is basically a short cage SLX mech. There was a thread recently( between this one and ^^^that one that had a link to a Shimano tech document showing the differences) I also read in a PSA that someone got an XT mech from Ribble for £45 this weekend.

Northwind

Yeah, Zee is an SLX with a scattering of Saint bits, but it’s fundamentally equivalent to SLX and the weakest points in the mech are still SLX.

honourablegeorge

Northwind – Member
    Yeah, Zee is an SLX with a scattering of Saint bits, but it’s fundamentally equivalent to SLX and the weakest points in the mech are still SLX.

Don’t think there’s anything Saint about it, it’s a puny thing compared to Saint.

Looking at the Zee cranks, it think it’s a closer to a Deore level DH group.

sv

XT/SLX don’t have the shorter cage version if that’s what you are after.

timmys

I have Zee and XT clutch mechs. I would love to know why the clutch on/off switch on the Zee is lovely gold-coloured metal and the XT is a horrible plastic number!

Northwind

honourablegeorge – Member

Don’t think there’s anything Saint about it, it’s a puny thing compared to Saint.

Take a closer look, it’s a parts-bin special with bits of Saint attached to bits of SLX. But it’s as strong as its weakest parts.

Mackem

I’ve got a Zee, it works. Er, that’s it.

nwill1
    Free Member

Hope Zee is good, just removed an XT clutch long cage to replace with Zee clutch just so I can run a shot! Not even ridden it yet!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Shimano Zee rear mech… any good?’ is closed to new replies.