Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Shimano Zee front hub advice needed….
  • gonzy
    Free Member

i got given a set of wheels but the front shimano zee 20mm hub needs new bearings.
    i’ve taken off the centre lock ring but there is another silver ring behind it (as in the image below) and i’m not sure how this comes off.

does it unscrew or do i simply prise it off?
    i dont want to try and yank it off if it needs to be unscrewed in case i obviously wreck it.
    if it does unscrew, what tool do i need?

BoardinBob

Special tool IIRC. Mates died in Morzine and no shops could help him as they didn’t have the tool

bigyinn
    Free Member

According this page its just a washer, but its not shown on the non disc side.
    TECH DOC

gonzy
    Free Member

@bigyinn
    i douwnloaded that document and as youve correctly stated the silver washer isnt on the drive side on the hub or in the image.
    on closer inspection it looks like its has a screw thread but the image in the tech doc doesnt show this.
    this is whats confusing

bigyinn
    Free Member

Looking at your pic, you should be able to undo the locknut and cone with the right sized cone spanner, so I suspect its a dust shield that just presses in to keep out the worst of the elements.
    Its just an oversized version of the classic shimano cup and cone hub.
    *EDIT* if you look at the diagram, you can see what appears to be the dust shield, but its recessed slightly into the hub shell.

bigyinn
    Free Member

So I’d take the axle out and see whats what. I dont think you’ll have to touch the silver doofer.

gonzy
    Free Member

Looking at your pic

sorry, i should have said the pic i posted isnt the actual hub in question. its one i found on the interweb that showed the silver washer in question.

my hub only has it on the non drive side as in the tech doc

sorry for the confusion

cp

looking at the tech doc, you shouldn’t need to take that washer thing off, just undo the lock nut and bearing cone on the other end of the axle with cone spanners.

gonzy
    Free Member

looking at the tech doc, you shouldn’t need to take that washer thing off, just undo the lock nut and bearing cone on the other end of the axle with cone spanners.

i hadnt thought of that CP…i’ll give that a try tonight

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Shimano Zee front hub advice needed….’ is closed to new replies.