Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Shimano Zee Brakes
  • Postman-Pat
    Free Member

Hi

Are the Zee brakes any good, im trying to decide on these or XT for my Alpine build

deanfbm
    Free Member

Zee brakes are awesome.

The shimano 2 piston stuff is too on and off for my tastes. Zees have lots of modulation and lots of power.

Nowt more to say really.

MrNero50
    Free Member

I’ve both.

XT on my Niner and Jones and Zee on my Mega. Both good. Did have the XTs on the Mega never felt under braked.

Reckon you’d be happy with either.

Shimano brakes are now my brake of choice, after running Formulas, Maguras and Hopes.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    wiggles
    Free Member

Good to hear people like them as I have some in my draw ready to be fitted to my (dialled) alpine

andyrm
    Free Member

Awesome brakes. Loads of modulation and ridiculous amounts of top end power when needed – net result is later braking, less arm pump, less dragging as you can be sure of stopping power and so faster speeds overall. I run mine with 203mm floating rotors front and rear on my enduro bike – always prefer to have maximum possible power availability, especially when tired towards the end of a race or big ride.

proutster
    Free Member

deanfbm
    Zee brakes are awesome.

The shimano 2 piston stuff is too on and off for my tastes. Zees have lots of modulation and lots of power.

Nowt more to say really.

Puzzled by this contradiction, I’m sure my Zees are 2 piston?

BTW, I think my Zees are superb. Swapped from Formula RXs on my DH bike to Zees and I love them, loads of power and – as deanfbm says – lots of modulation as well.

Recommended!

wysiwyg
    Free Member

Zee 4

wiggles
    Free Member

I’m pretty sure saints and zee are 4 piston.

toppers3933
    Free Member

zee are 4 piston.

proutster
    Free Member

Doh! I was thinking of per side of the caliper 😳

RobHilton
    Free Member

Loads of modulation and ridiculous amounts of top end power when needed

Second this – actually think they’re too powerful in a way. Have them on 4x & DH bikes and they makes sense on the DH – on a small bike you can easily endo without meaning too til you get used to them 🙂

Postman-Pat
    Free Member

Thanks for the replies, I had considered hope as well however always hear mixed reviews about them, and they are twice the price

neallyman
    Free Member

I’m going to open a can of worms and say I didn’t like them as I’m too used to the way Hope’s feel after a couple of years on X2 evos and V2 evos.

The shimano XT’s I bought were so grabby in comparison. I was just locking up way too quickly on wet greasy stuff and steep stuff.

Probably would have got used to them in time. Not a complaint as such just an observation. These brakes are not for everyone, depends what you want/are accustomed to.

wiggles
    Free Member

So to summarise you have tried xt’s and didnt like them and havent tried zees so have no relevant information? 😉

Just kidding, but the shimano vs hope is getting as bad as wheelsizes

slowrider
    Free Member

Get Deores over xt’s, performance is every bit as good.

But yes, Zees are truly ace

discapade
    Free Member

For me, all the shimano brakes have NO modulation at all. I tried the xtr when they came out but they just locked the wheels up. The saints were better on my DH bike for some reason, even though they were 4 pots. I was running formulas after the shimano, a bit better but still too grabby. I settled on hope m4 tech evo and they are perfect…lots of modulation and only lock the wheels when pulled hard..hope this helps

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Maybe it’s you that doesn’t have modulation, and yer hopes are underpowered?

#hamfistedchimp

😀

honourablegeorge

Have a look at the Red Bull Rampage footage – surprising number of sponsored riders choosing Zee over Saint. Dunno why.

alpin
    Free Member

^^ same performance without any bits to get caught (reach adjuster)?

have a set of Zee brakes. had them on the bike for the summer. good brakes, but i felt they were too powerful for my liking. felt i had to be going full-pelt to get them warmed up before they would really bite.

maybe i’m not man enough or my trails not long enough.

have replaced with SLX and am much happier.

the Zee brakes are for sale if anyone is interested inc one set of resin pads unused. email and make me an offer if you want…

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Shimano Zee Brakes’ is closed to new replies.