Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Shimano zee 10speed for a 9speed set up
  • astura
    Free Member

I’m after a rear mech for my 9 speed set up, I want to go for the shimano zee however I can only see this as 10speed. Is it possible to convert to 9?

colp

It will work with a SRAM 9 speed shifter and a 6mm washer.

astura
    Free Member

how bout an XT shifter?

honourablegeorge

Shimano changed their cable pull for 10 speed, made it very close to what SRAM use. Means that Shimano 10s won’t work with their 9s stuff.

astura
    Free Member

Can you get a 9 with a clutch?

Speeder

This thread has a bit of info and a link to a ridemonkey thread that explains all.

Zee to 9sp converter thread.

Basically you can run it so long as you’ve a 9 Speed SRAM shifter – I might have an X9 going spare somewhere I could do you for the purpose.

G

astura
    Free Member

Yeh that would be great, just started looking on eBay. Let me know what your after and il ping the funds over 🙂

Speeder

Astura – could you drop me a reminder email (in profile) so I don’t forget to have a look in the garage tomorrow?

Cheers

Gary

astura
    Free Member

Hi Gary, did you get my mail?

munrobiker
    Free Member

I also have an X9 9 speed shifter available if anyone is interested in doing this (mine worked fine without a washer), mail in profile.

astura
    Free Member

i have a shifter just need the Zee rear mech, which model do I go for?

munrobiker
    Free Member

The FR model with the wide 32/36t range, unless you run a road cassette.

astura
    Free Member

Like that one?

Speeder

That’s the one (not sure there are any other types) If you’re putting it on a DH bike and are using a road cassette you can get away with the 23-28t range version if you’re using it on a trail bike with a reasonable rear cassette range you’ll need the 32-36t version.

And a spacer – you can try it without as munrobiker did with success but my experience suggests it’s better with a 5mm spacer under the cable clamp.

Andy

I have one of the wide range zee mechs in good nick for sale if needed. Email in profile

astura
    Free Member

Yeh pls, need the 32- 36 one if u have one thads great il take it

ajantom

Clutch mechs will also work with a 9 speed thumbshifter on friction setting. Works surprisingly well!

astura
    Free Member

Got it all set up however should it support 3 rings up front or just 2 and a bash!

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Shimano zee 10speed for a 9speed set up’ is closed to new replies.