Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Shimano XTR Shadow Plus – Lower Jockey Wheel Rapid Wear
  • chris_db
    Free Member

So, my lower jockey is getting reet pointy. Thinking I could do with either a new lower or a pair but the choices out there are bewildering.

I understand the top jockey needs “float” and this is a patented Shimano thingumabob?

Any ideas or recommendations on a replacement pair of jockey wheels that work – at a decent price?

Thanks

Chris

br
    Free Member

You can put in Deore, SLX, XT or XTR – only real difference is the price, except for better bearings.

onandon
    Free Member

I ran kcnc on mine without float and they worked perfectly.

spicer
    Free Member

This is one thing i’ve never understood…. Can someone explain to me (or tell me i’m right? 🙂 )
    The jockey wheels on my SRAM wore out a long time ago… only tiny and very pointy teeth left. It doesn’t seem to affect anything at all- all the jockey wheels do is route the chain around the cage- they don’t take any of the pedalling force, and there’s nowhere for the chain to fall off, so i’ve never really understood why they need teeth. Woulnt a plastic roller work just as well?

njee20
    Free Member

I run some Mt Zoom ultralight ones, have outlasted the Shimano ones by miles, spin well, and they’re red, so I go faster.

deano8
    Free Member

Does it reduce the gear change precision if you replace the floaty top wheel with these flash looking alloy ones?

njee20
    Free Member

Not that I’ve noticed!

scaredypants

I’d thimk it might increase precision and so make it all more sensitive to correct setup

iain1775
    Free Member

I thought shimano had done away with floating jockeys in the shadow+ mechs?

perthmtb
    Free Member

I thought shimano had done away with floating jockeys in the shadow+ mechs?

This.

Hence…

You can put in Deore, SLX, XT or XTR – only real difference is the price, except for better bearings.

… is no longer true.

Moda
    Free Member

BBB ceramic area good option spin well and last a long time

perthmtb
    Free Member

so i’ve never really understood why they need teeth. Woulnt a plastic roller work just as well?

At risk of showing my age, I remember when jockey wheels were just rollers without teeth.

scaredypants

teeth make sure they keep rolling rather than allowing slowing/seizing and then rapid wear due to acting as a bushing, don’t they ?

andyl
    Free Member

I’m sure I’ve seen a jockey wheel that was actually a safrifical block of dry chain lube or maybe waxy polymer so lubed the chain as it rolled over. If someone made them really cheap they could sell them by the bucket load.

just googled: http://www.carbonforbikes.com/ they are carbon lubricant. Like you use for locks, high temp applications etc.

perthmtb
    Free Member

The solid lubricant is shaped like the jockey pulleys of the derailleur. All you need to do is replace the bottom jockey pulley in the rear derailleur.

The abrasion of the lubricant that occurs through contact with the chain while pedaling results in lubrication.

I really like the idea of that – has anyone tried one of these to see how they work in practice?

FuzzyWuzzy

Hmm yeah that solid lube jockey wheel looks interesting. Does it not just lube the part of the link it contacts though (rather than inside the rollers which is where you really want it)? Also I couldn’t see info on how long they last for, anyone know?

perthmtb
    Free Member

Also I couldn’t see info on how long they last for, anyone know?

Their website claims 1000-1500 kms.

Does it not just lube the part of the link it contacts though (rather than inside the rollers which is where you really want it)?

Again, their website claims it has ‘creeping’ abilities so will work its way into the rollers. But I think I’d be inclined to start with an application of teflon dry lube inside the rollers, and just rely on the graphite jockey wheel to keep things moving from thereon…

Be nice if someone had experience using them could verify their claims…

andyl
    Free Member

I’d quite like to see a solvent carrier graphite dry lube to go with it as a pre-application.

perthmtb
    Free Member

Their website claims 1000-1500 kms.

Sorry, got that wrong – they actually claim 1500-2500 kms!

I’d quite like to see a solvent carrier graphite dry lube to go with it as a pre-application.

Excellent idea…

andyl
    Free Member

tada: http://uk.farnell.com/jsp/displayProduct.jsp?sku=1888926&CMP=KNC-GUK-FUK-GEN-LISTINGS&gross_price=true&mckv={ifsearch:s}{ifcontent:c}YKMwxwd8|pcrid|productlistings

no idea what the lubrication performance is like under load etc though.

Or in a dropper: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AMBERSIL-GRAPHITE-LOCK-LUBE-6150002500-/300853504426#vi-content

Says ideal for saline conditions and dry film repels water.

Rocol do one for industrial ovens too (conveyor chains inside oven)

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Shimano XTR Shadow Plus – Lower Jockey Wheel Rapid Wear’ is closed to new replies.