Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Shimano xtr m975 pads….and cheap alternatives
  • whippersnapper
    Free Member

just wondered if anyone had experience of cheap alternatives for the above brakes. I'd get shimano ones but the price is somewhat eye watering so may try something different. Anyone with experience of EBC, Fibrax, (dare I say it) Superstar, etc etc.

And secondly – are most Shimano pads interchangable. There is lots of mention of m965 etc but not alot for m975.

Ta in advance and happy new year

Dibbs
    Free Member

The price is eye watering but the pads last longer than any others I've tried (EBC Green & Gold, M965's).

mboy
    Free Member

You don't need to run the titanium back Shimano OEM pads. In fact, I'd say that these probably only help in hotter conditions, helping to draw heat from the pad/disc into the caliper body. Certainly in these cold conditions, brakes are never getting hot at all!

In which case, fit any pad you like. I've always had good experiences with A2Z's blue compound pads (which if you look on ebay can usually be had for around £5-6 a pair). I've tried loads of different pads (including Fibrax, EBC, Shimano OEM sintered and Resin) and these seem to have had the best combination of performance to wear ratio for me. Even if they didn't last quite as long as the OEM pads, you could replace them 4 times before you'd be out of pocket!

bananaworld
    Free Member

Hmmm, I'm a little confused here as I've found M965 (M06 – metal) pads to last for AGES in all sorts of shitey conditions.

The pads are indeed all interchangeable between Shimano's brakes.

mttm
    Free Member

I've tried various types in my 975s – Superstar sintered are my current standard. They have a reasonable lifespan and absolutely transformed the braking performance from "occasionally adequate" to "permanently great". Firmer lever feel and a lot more power (heat too, but that's not a particular problem for me). Not so impressed with either their standard or kevlar pads, but the sintereds are some of the best I've used.

Lots of anti-Superstar voices on here, I'm not one of them… I speak as I find, and I've found them to be good.

ThePinkster

Like mttm I've found that Superstar sinrered work great. Their organic only lasted about 2 short rides roundd the Chase but the sintered seem to last ages.

I'm not using Shimano brakes though, if that makes any difference.

rolfharris
    Free Member

Superstar are awful, they don't last 2 minutes, sintered or otherwise IME. That and 3 sets I had fell off the back plate- I'd not risk it in such a safety critical component.

I use clarks sintered for longevity and Alligator pads for power and t'alps. They're very good and both under a tenner.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

I've used M975 by Clarks, Fibrax, Shimano, EBC and Goodmans. All sintered, that's all I ever use. All of them have been pretty much the same life and performance. I usually just keep my eyes open on ebay for a bargin, I recently bought a cheap job lot of Shimano branded sintered with the metal springs missing, but I had plenty of spare springs in the toolbox.

Wally

£10 Decathlon. I have used their HFX9 ones, same make and ace.

igm

Superstar pads (both sintered and kevlar) seem to work for me. Read around the forum and you'll find all sorts of horror stories and poor customer service stories – but equally you will find supportive comments about component quality and I personally haven't had a customer service problem from them.

dt5714
    Free Member

I use these, had no problem with them, under £25 for 4 pairs…..BARGIN!!these

rockthreegozy
    Free Member

Just fitted these Alligator pads to the road bike- seem recommended and cheap at £9.99 for front and rear.

Northwind

I think I'm on about my 6th or 7th set of Superstar sintered pads, in XT and Tektro sizes… All been excellent, all lasted very well, as much power as the original shimano and they last about 3/4s as long (standard XT last very well). I did have one pad lose a little surface material but then, I've had that with a Shimano pad too. When I run out I'll buy a load more.

If you want cheap but you're too prejudiced to go to Superstar, try Disco. They're not as good IMO but still decent.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Shimano xtr m975 pads….and cheap alternatives’ is closed to new replies.