Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Shimano xt trail pedals v Mallets
  • fudge9202
    Free Member

Currently recovering from torn medial ligament and running xt trail pedals but was looking something a bit easier on my knee to clip out of was reading that mallets are easy for knee injuries. Any advice appreciated

fudge9202
    Free Member

Bump for the evening crowd

thorpey0
    Free Member

I posted a very similar question a couple of days ago, have a search and you will get some ideas. Having had lots of surgery over the years I have yet to find the best answer. I run XT too at the moment but got on really well with Egg Beaters in the past. Lots of people are saying to run flats n shoes but I like being clipped in…

Please let me know if you find a good answer!

warpcow
    Free Member

Pretty sure I said similar in thorpey’s thread: Time ATAC, one of the MX versions if you need a platform. My knees don’t like Shimano, but Time are fine. I have old Aliums on one bike and MX2s on another. The MX2s are far superior, in terms of support and ease of entry/exit, to the XT Trails I tried a couple of years ago. They’re just as bombproof as Shimano too. I also run flats too since I started having problems with my knees, and neither Time nor flats cause me any problems now.

fudge9202
    Free Member

Cheers I’ll have a look at the time ones

rickon
    Free Member

Mallets are ace. I’ve got a pair of the new style, better engagement than the Egg Beaters, with an adjustable set of pins. You get a bit of float, which will be kinder on your knees for sure.

All reviews of them have been very favourable with no reports of breakages of old.

fudge9202
    Free Member

Cheers have my xt trail pedals in the classifieds!

robfury
    Free Member

I ve had acl reconstruction and torn my mcl. Still use shimano trail spds. Works for me but everyone’s different. Try setting up your cleats again. I found after rehab I had to adjust them a few times as the muscles in my legs developed again and the angle of my knee changed

mikewsmith
    Free Member

not used shimano in ages, after making the swap to CB it will take a lot to get me back.

rickon
    Free Member

IF you’re after some Mallets – Halfords have them at the best price: http://www.halfords.com/cycling/parts/pedals-pegs/crank-brothers-mallet-3-pedals

The 3 is better than the 1 or 2, as they have bearings an no bushes.

Superficial
    Free Member

I haven’t ridden mallets but they look like they’d be fairly supportive when you’re unclipped, whereas I have a set of the shimanos and they don’t really offer significant support. The platform makes it easier to clip in but otherwise there’s not much benefit over the small ‘traditional’ shimano pedals.

I’m not sure whether it’s unclipped support you want or more float?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Of all the CB pedals mallets can be set with least float by winding the pins out. For float stiff shoes and candies for support flat style shoes and mallets good enough for some rough foot out flail and stomp.

woolymonster
    Free Member

Speedplay pedals are pretty good for easing knee problems…weird looking cleat but it works 🙂 Hope you get sorted

fudge9202
    Free Member

Speedplay would definitely look out of place on my Stanton Sherpa, think I’ll go for a set of mallets, just need to sell my xt trail pedals now.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Shimano xt trail pedals v Mallets’ is closed to new replies.