Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Shimano XT Brake advice please
  • GiantJaunt
    Free Member

I’m thinking of getting an XT back brake for my bike from CRC but I’m not sure what size and type of rotor to fit.

-What would be a good size rotor?
    -What would be a good type of rotor?
    -Will the standard bracket that comes with the brake be compatible with any rotor size or would I need a special one?
    -Anywhere I can get the stuff cheaper than CRC?

Thanks. 🙂

nickjb
    Free Member

160mm is plenty for me. If you are a larger gentleman or a gnarly downhiller then you could go bigger.
    Any disk will do as long as it fits your hub (6 bolt or centrelock). Some are lighter, some are prettier.
    It should come with the right adapter for the disk it is supplied with if you buy them as a set. I’d say 160mm is standard. Adapters are only £3 ish so it isn’t a big issue to change.
    There are often deals so you have to hunt around (CRC, wiggle, merlin, etc)

GiantJaunt
    Free Member

OK thanks. I think I’ll go for 160mm to save on weight. Looks like CRC have the best deal but not sure if the adaptor or pads come with it although I’m pretty sure the rotor doesn’t. I’ll phone them tomorrow.

DougD

Just got a set of xt brakes to replace my old hope minis, 180 front and 160 rear. Highly recommend them, got them from merlin as they included all the adaptors and rotors, needed to get a couple of other bits as well so the accumulator helped. Very pleased with them

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Check Merlin Cycles before you buy from CRC. Usually cheaper these days, and faster delivery

GiantJaunt
    Free Member

Thanks I’ll have another look.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Shimano XT Brake advice please’ is closed to new replies.