Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Shimano XT 2*10 Chainset – chainrings
  • ittaika
    Free Member

Right, probably a really daft question, but can the chainrings on a Shimano double chainset be swapped for different sizes?

I’m just not strong enough to use the 38 tooth outer ring much and like my 22 tooth granny ring on my 2*9 speed set-up so I reckon I’m looking for a 24/36 double rather than the 26/38 available.

I see that the shimano double front mech is for a 38-44 outer – is that recommended or ‘has to be obeyed’?

Also, it’s for my good old 2005 turner 5-spot – am I as well using a triple with the outer removed?

Cheers!

clubber
    Free Member

I’ve used a Shimano double front mech (SLX) with 32, 34 and 36 front rings and it was fine.

I found 24/36 pretty perfect with 26″ wheels.

I wouldn’t change the whole chainset to go for a 2x set up though – just dump the outer ring and get narrow chainring bolts for the middle (or swap the big for a bash if you reckon you need it).

ittaika
    Free Member

cheers clubber!

i’m moving the existing 2*9 onto a new bike (making it 3*9 again) and have the chance to get all shiny new 10 speed for the turner.

the bash guard is essential given how clumsy i am – too many holes in my legs already…

barrykellett
    Free Member

Dropping from a 38 to a 36 big ring will give you a gear that is a whole 2 inches smaller.
    Which is not worth talking about.

What cassette are you running?

ittaika
    Free Member

i’m going to get a 11-36 cassette so that’s a lower a gear already than the 11-34 9-speed cassette. is 24*36 the same as 22*34 in terms of gearing? i’ve had a look at sheldon brown’s website (which is pretty awesome!), but it doesn’t have a 36 tooth 10 speed cassette yet. need to do some maths type stuff i think…

RamseyNeil
    Free Member

Dropping from a 38 to a 36 big ring will give you a gear that is a whole 2 inches smaller.
    Which is not worth talking about.

It will actually give you a high gear of almost 5 inches lower with an 11 rear sprocket and 26 wheels .

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Shimano XT 2*10 Chainset – chainrings’ is closed to new replies.