Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Shimano vs Hope
  • mactheknife

Looking at getting a new rear wheel, xc717 on either a hope pro2 hub or a shimano xt.

As the price differs considerably what are the longetivity and serviceability of these 2 like.

Thanks all 🙂

cynic-al
    Free Member

Depends on how much servicing you CBA with I’d say.

The Hope-apologists will be along shortly to differ I bet!

mactheknife

Cannot be ars@d. which is why i ask 🙂

qtip

Sounds like you’d be better off with the Hopes with sealed bearings then.

z1ppy

Hope’s last for ever and can be gotten into state maintenance wise and then repaired by a gorilla, currently bashing out a bearing on Hope XC for a m8. All parts are serviceable

Shimano can need servicing from new (this is from shimano-philes) to confirm they’re greased and not too tight, but with regular servicing should last as long as any hope. Ignore them for any length of time and they’ll wear badly. Freehubs have to be binned when worn, and it not abnormal for it to be cheaper to buy a new hub just to get a replacement the freehub.

Hope for me, gotten 3 sets and am very happy with them, one set is 12 years old….

portlyone

Do shimano only do centrelock?

Onzadog
    Free Member

No, they do 6 bolt as well. I prefer hope. Find xt freehub bodies expensive, short lived and sometimes model specific with little or no cross comparability so therefore difficult to source once the hub is a couple of years old. Quieter and more free running than the hope though.

I_Ache
    Free Member

I have had no problems with hope hubs and have been using them for about 12 years. I have had a shimano hub on my BFe (because it was a cheap S/H wheel) since Feb and it is terrible. It causes me so many problems with the bearings coming loose. I wont have another hub with loose bearings, cartridge all the way for me.

Junkyard
    Free Member

ifyou dont want to service get Hope and some rigid forks 😉
    I have both and I have had no problem with either but you need to service shimano

mactheknife

Sweet 😀 sounds like hope it is. Thanks all..

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Shimano vs Hope’ is closed to new replies.