• This topic has 33 replies, 15 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by boblo.
Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • shimano ultegra DI2 or Dura Ace non DI2
  • jacob46
    Free Member

I’m changing my groupset for plenty or sportives I’ve entered for this year. Current groupset has had a good bashing in the last 18 months.

Was wondering weather to try DI2 or for the same money stick with normal cable operations but have dura ace?

nickc

Di2 is what I’d be spending my cash on. It really is revolutionary

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

Dura ace mechanical every time. Lighter, looks stunning and the shifting is so light its bordering on di2.

TiRed

Dura Ace manual. Di2 is nice, but DA9000 is magnificent. You’ll smile every time you shift.

Shifting with gloves is harder with Di2. I often shift up with the back of my finger against the inner lever when riding on the drops (which I do a lot). Try that with Di2.

gravity-slave
    Free Member

Tough choice, opinions still split then! 😉
    I was about to go Di2 on a Canyon, but subject to fitting, should be getting a dura ace 9000 Focus soon. Reason was availability and price, but am also sticking with mechanical is lighter, soooo smooth and easier to fettle myself. Di2 still looks awesome though.

jacob46
    Free Member

I’m shocked!!

Thought everyone would say DI2. Wow!!

shuhockey
    Free Member

Di2 loving mine…

geetee1972
    Free Member

I think part of the issue with opinions is that there are those who compare Di2 with mechanical DA9000 and those, like me, who compare is to mechanical 7900.

I haven’t ridden mechanical 9000 but compared to mechanical 7900, Di29070 is fabulous and I would definitely spec it again.

From what I’ve been told though, Shimano didn’t do a great job with the mechanical shifting of 7900; it was the first year they droped the external cables and didn’t quite get the system sorted. Consequently, mechanical shifting is not quite as slick as what I’ve heard 9000 is.

That said, there are some additional argument for a Di2 choice over mechanical 9000:

– If you intend to enter time trials in any competitive way then you can very easily add aero bar mounted button shifters and plug them into the junction box as and when you need them
    – Di2 also allows you to run satelite shifters, like the climber buttons and sprinter shifters. I haven’t got these as yet but I imagine they are very useful indeed.
    – Di2 really is very good and it does mean you can shift more easily when climbing for example. By that I mean it takes less effort (though again this is compared to mechanical 7900)
    – Di2 9070 is lighter than mechanical 9000
    – The brake hoods on Di2 are much much nicer than those on mechanical because they are smaller and easier to hold
    – I got the whole lot – chainset, shifters, mechs, hardware, chain and cassette for £999 new.

TiRed

From what I’ve been told though, Shimano didn’t do a great job with the mechanical shifting of 7900

True, and the original 9000 shifters weren’t any better. They rerouted the cables for DA9001 as an update and the shifting is just fantastic. Light and precise.

The longer lever for the FD makes front shifting much better too. I’ve not regretted my choice for a moment. I may go to Di2 for the race bike next year. But the best/sportive bike is sticking with DA.

Di2 also allows you to run satelite shifters, like the climber buttons and sprinter shifters. I haven’t got these as yet but I imagine they are very useful indeed.

This is probably the biggest reason for Di2, particularly on TT bikes.

Still “only” ultegra though 😉

gravity-slave
    Free Member

Is there any way to tell is it’s 9001 shifters on a build?

krixmeister

I faced similar question, went with Di2 for easier maintenance. As my road bike is my primary commuter bike, I didn’t want to faff with adjusting derailleur cables – which while admittedly wasn’t that often, but when it did occur seemed to usually be required at the 6:30am, pre-coffee start of my commute.

Both are groups are outstanding, you won’t go wrong with either choice.

geetee1972
    Free Member

As my road bike is my primary commuter bike, I didn’t want to faff with adjusting derailleur cables

That’s a valid comment actually. I was riding my race bike on Saturday and musing as to whether I would ever put Di2 on my other bike, which does get used for a twice week, 100km commute. My first thought was, why would you put such expensive kit on a bike that will get ridden through such poor weather. Then my second thought was, that it’s in that it’s those kind of conditions where the benefits of electronic shifting are greatest.

TiRed

Is there any way to tell is it’s 9001 shifters on a build?

http://www.cebucycling.com/index.php?topic=23232.0

In essence the alloy cable covers are a different shape. I know because I bought a 9000 cover to replace my scratched 9001. Then I ordered a 9001 cover from SJS.

slowpuncheur
    Free Member

Di2. For the noise of the front mech shifting and trimming itself. I like to pretend to myself I am part cyborg.

Thrustyjust
    Free Member

The first 3 times I used my Di2 , I ended up in biblical rain ( considered Di2 to be weather jinxed it was that bad) and thought it would come to a grinding halt. Far from it, it changed no different and other than removing grit from the under down tube mounted battery, was totally fine.
    My mates says it sounds like something from Starwars when shifting gears. Cant say I have ridden anything Dura ace, but I don’t need shifting any better than Ultegra Di2 gives. The only time I have had to trim the rear mech location, was when fitting a spare wheel with a turbo tyre fitted and it can be done while riding and is so simple. Cables are pretty antiquated, but so is a derailleur and cassette. Buttons aren’t the best for fat gloves, but then I have a Tiagra groupset bike with guards for the winter stuff.

boblo
    Free Member

I’d wait for wireless…

lunge

I’d wait for wireless..

Given SRAM are leading it, I’d wait until version 3 or 4 before spending any money on it.

boblo
    Free Member

Eggzackery. So mechanical it is.

jacob46
    Free Member

When’s wireless out then?

geetee1972
    Free Member

I’ve no idea but after the first set up, the wired version is so neat and tidy as to make the wireless version only marginally compelling (I suppose a bit like how Di2 is only marginally more compelling than mechanical).

paulevans
    Free Member

I’ve got Di2 and love it, compared to the previous mechanical Ultegra. I find that I change gear considerably more now than previously, most likely down to much less effort involved and no need to trim the front mech.

boblo
    Free Member

Effort in changing gear… PMSL 🙂

It must have been like the olden days for you when you had to get off and derail to change gear… Just need a machine to pedal for you now and the effort really will be saved 😀

Mister-P
    Free Member

I have to say I agree with Paul and since going to Di2 I change gear more. I think it’s more the novelty than anything to do with effort though.

paulevans
    Free Member

Bob lo, have you tried Di2? It is not effort saving on a massive scale, but it is just click click click with little to no effort lose due to cable friction. Sure, it’s unlikey with mechanical shifts that you’re going to get RSI, but Di2 is just so much easier, allowing you to keep your cadence right where you want it. Each to their own though. Are you still using down tube friction shifters 😀

boblo
    Free Member

My bicycle has two speeds, I still drink brandy and take amphetamines mid ride. I am the ghost of Tommy Simpson…. Booo!

Yes I’ve ridden Di2 and it’s very, very nice. Like most on here I work with technology and I like cycling as the tech is relatively simple whilst often beautifully engineered and even I can fix it. For me, Di2 at the moment is 2 out of 3 of those.

I don’t want to introduce black box shenanigans into something inherently simple. For me Di2 is 2 things; 1) A solution to the problem whinger who can’t/won’t fix his/her own stuff and/or 2) A marketing option to allow the companies to expand their offering.

I don’t fall into 1) and haven’t been seduced by 2)… Yet. 🙂

Good luck to those that use it. We don’t have to get all evangelical about bicycle components do we?

variflex
    Free Member

Personally, if I was looking at Di2 type setups, I would wait for the SRAM wireless kit that should be out soon.

TiRed

I would wait for the SRAM wireless kit that should be out soon

I’d wait for Shimano to do it properly, if at all 😉

boblo. TWO gears! Two! Luxury! 84″ or go home. I’m just old enough to need a derailleur and ride and train mainly fixed.

“I still feel that variable gears are only for people over 45,” Desgrange said in an interview with L’Équipe.

That said, the club ride will be on the DA-equipped nice bike tonight as my legs are tired 😆

geetee1972
    Free Member

Good luck to those that use it. We don’t have to get all evangelical about bicycle components do we?

No quite, but I do think you’re missing the point and falling into the classic conservative roadie trap of small improvements not being worthwhile.

Innovation and development in equipment is always marginal (there are exceptions; every now and then something very big comes along to really change the order. I think integrated braking and shifting was one such example, aero bars another) so dismissing electronic shifting because it’s not a paradigm shift misses the point entirely.

It works really very well and it does have a very definite, if very small, advantage. Even without the benefits of satelite shifters (which by themselves are a fairly decent improvement), the ability to shift quickly and easily while climbing is a worthwhile improvement. The ability to focus fractionally less on shifting and fractionally more on cadence is also a benefit. It’s a ‘marginal’ gain but then Sky have shown us just how much can be had with that strategy.

What electronic shifting is not, is purely a marketing exercise. It does have real value in use and in making maintenance a lot easier. I do appreciate people like to do their own maintenance, but now I have two kids, a full time job and a very busy life, I’d rather spend time riding the bike than replacing or maintaining gear cables.

boblo
    Free Member

‘Paradigm shift’ <titter> Paradigm shit more like in my case 😀

I don’t think I said it’s not worthwhile, it’s just nit worthwhile for me currently. And it doesn’t make maintenance easier, it makes it almost non existent because most folk can’t do anything with it when it goes wrong.

I suppose that’s the point really. It’s to place the activity back in the hands of the bike shop in order to reinforce the revenue stream. You can see this is where Shimano are going as they’re doing it with mechanical kit as well. Hands up those who have received proper installation instructions in a box of Shimano goodies recently. No one? Yes, you need to go to the website and download ‘Dealer Instructions’. It’s the way car maintenance has gone, too complex for mortals and a nice little earner.

jacob46
    Free Member

Been to try and find out tonight at my local specialized retailer. DI2 is awesome. Love the way the front mech adjust itself as you drop down the gears at the rear so there is no chance of chain rub. Clever!
    It Will also wirelessly connect to my Garmin 1000. You can do your own maintenance by using the software and plugging it into a pc and changing the way it changes gear and it went over my head!!! But I’m ordering it on Friday!! £899.99 over 2 years = £37 a month.

Can’t wait. Thanks for your help.

boblo
    Free Member

You can do your own maintenance by using the software and plugging it into a pc and changing the way it changes gear and it went over my head!!!

You might want to get that adjusted. It’s obviously not quite right if it’s doing that 🙂

@geetee if that wasn’t a deliberate paradigm shift pun, it bloody well should have been 😀

jacob46
    Free Member

Going in today, 1 to collect my wheel from being straightened and 2 to order DI2. Hope I’m doing the right thing. £900 is a lot to play with.

TiRed

You’ll love it. Both choices are excellent and it’s just two flavours of very nice. Di2 is my next upgrade for my race bike. DA is more about pride of ownership and mechanical excellence.

boblo
    Free Member

@tired. Word as I understand da yoof used to say (in the 1980’s) 🙂

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘shimano ultegra DI2 or Dura Ace non DI2’ is closed to new replies.