Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Shimano SLX Triple to Double
  • mcpayner94
    Free Member

If I had a Shimano SLX Triple chainset and wanted to go double, can I remove the outer chain ring and insert a bash guard as a replacement?
    Cheers,
    Jordan

Rockabilly
    Free Member

Yes.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

you may also need longer c/ring bolts, depending on how thick the bash is.

JefWachowchow
    Free Member

I got an E Thirteen bash ring on mine and it came with the longer bolts. 😀

mcpayner94
    Free Member

What on your SLX chain set? If so what E-13 bash guard? http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=40144??

perthmtb
    Free Member

Yes you can do it – a couple of things to watch out for tho…

If you stay with the 32 middle, and put a 36T bash, my experience was chain rubbing on bash when in small end of cassette.

If you upgrade the middle chainring to 36T, I suggest getting the M665 36T chainring rather than any old 36T ring. It’s designed to work on a double/bash setup and has a different profile to improve shifting, avoid chain rub, and prevent chain jamming between rings.

Consider the M665 double specific front mech. Not essential, but I found it did away with all the fiddly adjustments required to get the triple front mech to work right with a 22/36 setup.

Lastly, I tried three different bash rings on my setup – the Shimano M665, Raceface Lite ally, and E-13 Turbo Charger plastic. The M665 wont fit the standard M660 cranks, the Raceface looks slick and doesn’t need longer bolts to fit, but I ended up using the E-13 because it’s just much more chunky (and yes it comes with longer bolts).

Paul-j

Hi I have a shimano slx double chain ring set 22t and 36t and slx bash guard never been used for sale if your intrested.
    email: http://www.no1jeff@hotmail.co.uk

JefWachowchow
    Free Member

mcpayner94 – It is a standard SLX triple, the bash ring was one they had in the counter at the LBS, I just had a look on their site, its the ‘Supercharger’ that I’m using.

forzafkawi
    Free Member

I am thinking of doing this conversion as well but one query I have if anyone knows – do you need a different front shifter i.e. 2-speed?

If not, is it just a case of adjusting the front mech so that it can’t shift the chain over towards the bash if you push the lever too far?

ahwiles
    Free Member

my slx shifter has 3 ‘positions’ – it works fine with my double specific front mech, which is a lovely little thing.

ransos
    Free Member

If not, is it just a case of adjusting the front mech so that it can’t shift the chain over towards the bash if you push the lever too far?

Yes. I’ve just converted my road bike from triple to double, and this method worked a treat.

PJM1974
    Free Member

No, you can either just not use the third ratio, or you can adjust the mech stop screws to prevent the front mech from engaging.

rondo101
    Free Member

The shifter is the same; the double-specific front mech just has a smaller range of movement. The same can be acheived with a triple front mech by adjusting the upper limit screw.

I’ve got the same setup as Jef Wachowchow; triple SLX crankset with E13 supercharger bash. I swapped the 32t chainring to a 34t when it needed replacing.

getonyourbike
    Free Member

I changed my chainrings to 24/36 and stuck a Straitline bash ring on and it all works perfectly. No fiddling necessary and no longer chainring bolts needed either.

forzafkawi
    Free Member

Cheers guys, very helpful. 😀

steellam
    Free Member

Looking at moving to a double on my slx, this might be a daft question but I am going to get the 36t middle ring as recommended, is it the same ring if I have a 10 speed rear mech ?

I ask because it actually says 9 speed on the chainrings page on crc http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=38189

joolsburger
    Free Member

I used a BBG bash for a 34T ring which fitted straight on with the original bolts. I will change to a 34 ring when the 32 on there wears out. Adjusted the upper limit screw on the XT front mech and it all works perfectly.
    http://www.bbgbashguard.com/images/IMG_3206.JPG well made and very, very good value.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Shimano SLX Triple to Double’ is closed to new replies.