Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Shimano SLX clutch mech problem
  • ryanctj
    Free Member

I had a clutch mech fitted back in December, it worked fine for a few rides then developed a strange issue. It would shift into bigger cogs fine, but if I tried to click the gear lever to release tension and move down into a smaller cog, nothing would happen. After shifting I had to reach down and pull up manually on the gear cable where it runs along the downtube to get it to shift into the right cog (needless to say after a few rides around Afan this got pretty tedious).

Took it back to the bike shop who said the cable had seized up due to poor conditions and replaced inner/outers and reindexed the gears. Everything was fine again until 2 rides and then the problem recurred..

Any suggestions? Everything used to work fine until this clutch mech went on, which is why I’m thinking it’s the problem. Could it be a shifter/cable problem? According to the bike shop the shifter was fine.

althepal

Been quite a few clutch failures- search on here or google for clutch mech problems.
    I bought and fitted a new XT one, set up properly, pedalled round the room and realised it wasn’t keeping the chain taut in smaller cogs.
    There’s guides about how to increase the clutch tension but I didn’t want to faff about too much in case I did any more damage. Sent it back and after crc sent it back to the distributer for inspection I was sent a new one..
    Hoping this one lasts a bit longer than 30secs round my locker room!

Vinnyc
    Free Member

I would try a sealed gear kit like gore or something

shindiggy
    Free Member

Currently got the same issue with my Zee rear clutch mech, shifts up to the largest cog fine, but needs a fair bit of tension to do so, then wont shift back down off the largest cog.

Was working fine till the first really muddy ride, i’ve cleaned and lube everything but still wont shift well now.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Was working fine till the first really muddy ride, i’ve cleaned and lube everything but still wont shift well now.

It’ll be the cables. Once they’ve got crap in them it doesn’t matter what you do, they’re borked. Why do you think that so many (especially UK designed) bikes have full length otters?

shindiggy
    Free Member

*this is with full length outers.

Will swap them with my spare set.

Rickos
    Free Member

Check this video for how to adjust the tension…

http://mpora.com/videos/zK4ZvQp4k

[video]http://mpora.com/videos/zK4ZvQp4k[/video]

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Shimano SLX clutch mech problem’ is closed to new replies.