Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Shimano SLX Brakes – Installing Question
  • Coyote
    Free Member

Got some new SLX brakes and looking to fit this weekend. I’ll want to swap the R/H to rear and L/H to front and also probably shorten the hoses. Will I need to bleed afterwards and are there any special fittings I’ll need after shortening?

Cheers!

fd3chris
    Free Member

Google how to do it without a bleed. It’s not difficult as I’ve done it a few times. You take out the pads, pump the lever a few times to bring out the pistons and then do the cutting etc. Always hold the hose upright and when done gently push the pistons back into their bores and this pushes fluid back up to the reservoir and should shift the air to the top . you will need two olives and barbs. Although it is very simple and take your time.

davros

I’ll second chris; there are a few decent youtube videos showing step by step how to trim the hoses and reinstall. Each brake I bought came with a spare olive and barb. A vice will help when tapping the new barbs in but you could get away with using a pair of grips. I’ve done a few pairs and didn’t need to bleed them.

coatesy
    Free Member

Personally, i’d always put a bleed buucket on afterwards, and remove all of the displaced air whilst in the workshop, rather than finding it’s worked it’s way into the system if the bike finds itself upside down at any point dring a ride.

jamj1974

It’s quite easy.

Before starting – the levers should be left horizontal and the calliper so must remain lower than the upper end of hose.

1. Remove pads and squeeze lever and install the yellow bleeding block – this retains the most fluid
    2. Undo the retaining nut at the lever and slide it down
    3. Trim hose to required length and remove the old olive if it has slipped down the hose
    4. Install new olive over the hose then barb. Then install the barb. Use a little mineral oil to make sliding the barb in easier. You can also safety widen relieve the end of the hose to make it easier still
    5. Insert newly barbed end into the lever and tighten nut into lever compressing the olive.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Shimano SLX Brakes – Installing Question’ is closed to new replies.