Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Shimano Shadow+ mechs
  • dandelion
    Free Member

Mentally building my next bike (180mm travel with springs instead of air, probably 1×10), and I like the idea of the clutch mechs but honestly don’t know enough about them – for example:

Can you run them open, clutch off, for climbing and retain ease of shifting?

Is their spring then the same as their standard shadow non-clutch equivalent, or is it shifter? I have chosen to run SLX iver XT before because of the heavier springs – I trust this has carried across too?

Anyone who’s used both got any advice?

Cheers y’all!

tomhoward

You only switch the clutch off for removing the rear wheel, not sure why you’d want it off for climbing?

dandelion
    Free Member

I read somewhere that the clutch effected shifting performance, with someone proclaiming to prefer to run it off for ease of shifting…I haven’t got my mits on one so am unsure how much spring load in mech there is – same as std shadow mech, or less?

patriotpro
    Free Member

As tom says.

Having the clutch on does not affect shifting so although you can switch if off you would run the risk of forgetting to switch it on for the descent.

Leave it and enjoy to ride. Clutch mechs are the shiz.

bikeneil
    Free Member

It does make shifting feel slightly stiffer when its on but it’s not a problem.

corsair
    Free Member

It does make shifting feel slightly stiffer when its on but it’s not a problem.

^That. Feels a bit odd at first, almost as if you’re trying to shift past the last gear and hitting the stop, but you soon get used to it. Certainly wouldn’t turn mine off for climbs.

dibboid
    Free Member

I got the sram type 2 and you don’t get the option to turn it off. Which is good as it’s something else less to fiddle and muck about with which you can’t forget to mess with before your descent. So I’d leave it on all the while.

mintimperial

I rode with the clutch off on my mech last week (my mate put the wheel back in after a very hurried tube-change in horizontal hail and rain, not his fault, I forgot to check). Anyway, a few miles later I ended up with proper chainstay-mangling, stuck-behind-the-rings chainsuck and had to pull the crank off to get it back out again. So I think running it with the clutch off is a bad idea.

On the other hand, if you can’t shift with the clutch on you need to do some thumb exercises, you **** jessie, it’s not hard. And I say that as a scrawny get with arms like wet string.

dandelion
    Free Member

Ok, I get it, clutch mechs are great :P…but no one has answered my question!

With clutch off, ss their spring the same as their standard shadow non-clutch equivalent?

mintimperial

With clutch off, ss their spring the same as their standard shadow non-clutch equivalent?

No, I don’t think so, based on my experience I think it’s probably a little bit weaker. This is an XT Shadow+ mech, for the record. The whole drive-train is pretty new and I’d not have expected it to suffer from chainsuck yet.

Northwind

Yeah, that seems right to me too, though I’m not doing a totally fair compare- my 9-speed XT feels stiffer sprung than my shadow+.

But, there’s no reason to switch the clutch off when riding. You may feel a difference, but it’s not one that matters. (most SHimano shifters are too light action anyway IMO)

svalgis
    Free Member

I honestly don’t feel a difference with clutch on or off on my Zee mech, and that’s coming from someone with girlier little hands than a 10 year old girl.

If it’s really causing a problem for some people I suspect there’s something wrong with their hands or mech or both.

Don’t worry about it.

remoterob
    Free Member

Ssshhh, be quiet, or they’ll introduce a compulsory, but fragile, handle bar mounted clutch switch that costs more than the mech to replace.

patriotpro
    Free Member

If it’s really causing a problem for some people I suspect there’s something wrong with their hands or mech or both.

Don’t worry about it.

Amen.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Shimano Shadow+ mechs’ is closed to new replies.