Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Shimano Saint too powerful
  • verticalclimber
    Free Member

thinking about a set of saints to replace my M4 black and golds. I know they are maybe a tad heavy but are they too powerful??? Am running 200 disc on front/ 180 on back at mo and would like more power really for 1 finger braking. I do like to brake as late as poss but love modulation. Have got a set of SLX on my winter bike now and really do like them, prefer them to my older hope mono minis so saints seem like a good idea with a set of light rotors (ashima)

Tonylem
    Free Member

Can brakes have too much power? Just don't pull them as hard.

verticalclimber
    Free Member

that is my general thinking

RealMan
    Free Member

But with extra power do you sacrifice modulation?

angryratio
    Free Member

Brilliant brakes.
    Lad local to us has a sam hill fan boy spesh downhill space shuttle with the latest saints fitted.
    They're amazing, although, the servo wave is not for everyone.

noidea
    Free Member

I use them on my alpine 160 and find them to be great,lots more power than my wifes xt and still plenty of modulation.I will be fitting another pair to my downhill bike when all the bits arrive.

zangolin
    Free Member

Great brakes plenty of modulation – been using them for the last 6 months on my Reign-X. True one finger braking with no effort required. Get them!

pedalhead
    Free Member

The Saint M810s are great. Got them on two of my bikes now (latest migrated from M4s). Modulation is fine, you just don't have to grab gobfulls all the time like some brakes.

simonlovesrocks
    Free Member

I have a set on my 456 and there pretty dam good although I'm running XT calipers so some of the power will have been lost. They are spot on jump on the DH bike with the old saints at the weekend and they just felt wooden in comparison.

Dont think Id want them on a race hardtail though might be snapping some forks

tails
    Free Member

They are very very strong, but as said above strong is good. They are around 50g heavier than XT not including rotors. I run mine with 160mm hope floating rotors which gives me all the power I need, no rotor warp and a weight i'm happy with.

tf
    Free Member

The power is extreme, the modulation excellent, but I don't think I would be putting them on a trail bike, they are DH brakes. Changing pads is lot more faff than XTs; choice of replacement pads is currently limited.

DM52
    Free Member

Slight thread hijack; What is the pad of choice for them as I need to get spares in for the DH bike.

slowrider
    Free Member

but I don't think I would be putting them on a trail bike, they are DH brakes. Changing pads is lot more faff than XTs; choice of replacement pads is currently limited.

how often do you change pads? 5 minutes as opposed to two minutes every few months and an extra fiver each time for decent pads is well worth amazing braking IMO.

Captain-Pugwash
    Free Member

Saint brakes are some of the best brakes on the market and I will say that power and modulation aren't really connected. With a powerful brake you will learn to brake in an easier style (like pedalhead says)

verticalclimber
    Free Member

sounds like winner, they are going on a cove hummer with 140 revs so should stop on a dime

MRanger156
    Free Member

I have the new saints on my 5" full suss that I use for xc, trail centres, alps etc. Yes they are a bit heavy but 100% worth it. The power is insane yet controllable once you get used to them (200mm rotors).

Buy them if your willing to sacrifice weight for immense stopping power.

coogan
    Free Member

I had the original Saints replace my black and gold Hopes and they pissed all over the Hopes in power, reliability and the like, so the new ones should be an even big jump in performance. You'll probably need a seat belt…

firestarter
    Free Member

funny that as i have m4 on one bike and slx on the other and i much prefer the m4 brakes by a long way

coogan
    Free Member

Different stokes for different folks and all that. I have SLX on one bike just now that I'm loving. I hated my Hopes after they went pop in the Alps.

paulrockliffe
    Free Member

SLX <> Saint!

verticalclimber
    Free Member

cheers guys am placing order now

noidea
    Free Member

Dm52 i stuck with original pads,as you will know they work a treat and last well.I bought 4 pairs from crc a while back for 70 odd quid.

dasnut
    Free Member

you'll be wanting hope tech v2s.
    only slightly heavier than the m4s and not so on\off as the saints
    modulation a plenty, best brakes I have had, bar none.

theflatboy
    Free Member

RealMan – Member

But with extra power do you sacrifice modulation?

to paraphrase spiderman 🙂

ton

i use them………..they are great at stopping fat old bifters. 😆

zangolin
    Free Member

"With great power comes great responsibility"

bigdugsbaws
    Free Member

Saints are not on/off brakes and they aint heavy either; the calipers are only about 30g more than XT. (yes I'm sad, I weighed them)

guitarhero
    Free Member

Hang on to any spare M4 pads, as they fit the saints with a small mod 🙂

pedalhead
    Free Member

Hang on to any spare M4 pads, as they fit the saints with a small mod

ooh how's that? I have three or four sets of M4 pads that I'll probably never get around to using.

guitarhero
    Free Member

File off the small vampire teeth at the top of the pad.
    Depending on the brand the spring might not fit. In which case bend the sides of the saint pad spring inwards slightly.
    I'm using Hope branded M4 pads in my saints currently.

pedalhead
    Free Member

mine are Hope branded. Cheers 😀

richmtb

I can't recommend the new Saint brakes highly enough. They are the best upgrade I've bought for years. All the power you will ever need and the feel is excellent, so light and controlable for such a powerful brake. I run mine with 180mm hope floating rotors at both ends

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘Shimano Saint too powerful’ is closed to new replies.