Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Shimano Rt-76 203mm Disc – Owners help please
  • RDL-82
    Free Member

Can anyone with the a 203mm RT-76 have a check and see if theirs came with the silver ‘flower’ shaped alloy plate/washer that goes between rotor and ‘8’ shaped washer and bolts.

I have just received one from a reputable retailer and there is no plate present. I have had 180mm and 160mm versions and they all came with the silver plate whereas this 203 just has the rotor, ‘8’ shaped washers and bolts. Have spoke to the shop and they say according to their shop account with Madison that this is right, just want some piece of mind as Madison’s website shows the plate.

Madison Linky

Cheers.

rocketman
    Free Member

Yup have had a number of RT76s in all three sizes and they all came with the insert, the bolts and 3 of the ‘8’ shaped washers that stop the bolts unscrewing

Not entirely sure how critical the washers are but the insert is important no?

RDL-82
    Free Member

Hmm, possibly a spec change as looking again the little tabs are definitely different to the other sizes I’ve got/had.

Haven’t got a spare of the silver disc have you?! Was sure I had one knocking about but seems not. Have emailed Madison but don’t expect a response anytime soon.

bigyinn
    Free Member

I wouldn’t worry about them, I’ve never fitted the older 8 shaped ones and the flower shaped ones serve the same purpose (i.e. not much).
    As long as the bolts are tight and periodically checked then you’ll be fine.

warns74
    Free Member

I think the flower is the older version, the new ones just come with the three “8” shaped plates.

(I have 203 rotors on 2 bikes, neither of which came with the flower)

neilwheel
    Free Member

It is the newer, cheaper to produce, version.

Sprung tabs rather than the fold up tabs with “flower” back plate. Now you don’t need to get a screwdriver in there, no need for any scratch protection.

robinlaidlaw
    Free Member

I wouldn’t ever bother with either of them. There’s no reason why a disc would come undone and no particular reason why Shimano discs would need these when other brands don’t. It’s lawyer tabs for your discs.

RDL-82
    Free Member

Cheers all, suspected it may have been a spec change as the little tabs are different.

Never had a disc come loose just figured there might be a reason shimano specifically included it and with it being missing compared to past experience plus documents still showing the system I expected. Best to check.

rocketman
    Free Member

So the washer things have changed?

RDL-82
    Free Member

Yep, certainly look like it. Will post a pic as comparison later when I fit it.

rocketman
    Free Member

Ok ta

warns74
    Free Member

I dont think they’ve changed much, more like they just dont supply the flower bit any more, called “fixing washer” in the below pic. You just get the 3 “tightening plates”

richardthird

Same with 180 and 160 what I got off Evans recently. No flowers. Or Haribo.

RDL-82
    Free Member

Had a response from Madison…

Hi Robert, the system has changed a little.

The bolts used to have triangle-shaped heads and you used to bend up a small plate to prevent them rotating. The silver disc used to sit under the plates to prevent damage to the rotor when bending the plates.

Now though the silver disc is removed, the bolts have round heads with small teeth on the under surface which engage on the plates as you tighten them up removing the need to bend anything.

Hope that helps

So all good, they just need to update the literature now!

neilwheel
    Free Member

It’s always worth taking a closer look first.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Shimano Rt-76 203mm Disc – Owners help please’ is closed to new replies.