• This topic has 15 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by hora.
Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Shimano RS81 C24 Roadie wheels Advice.
  • feckinlovebbq
    Free Member

Anyone use/tried these? Any reason i should avoid them? found them for £330 online.

Spud

I’ve the RS80 C24 on my summer bike and they’re a great wheel. Took a battering on LEJOG this summer without issue.

theflatboy
    Free Member

Where from at that price?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    feckinlovebbq
    Free Member

i appologise just checked again its actually £341. £379 on the website but Merlin have an extra 10% off items once added to your basket.

steve_b77
    Free Member

RS80’s are great wheels, mine have just been sold along with my road bike. 3 faultless years of 12 months a year riding. Do I’d imagine the 11spd version are just as good

Simon-E

Nice wheels. But…

Ultegra 6800 wheelset is very similar but a fair bit cheaper (£231 at Merlin with the 5%) and hardly any heavier. Also tubeless ready, for those interested.

Thrustyjust
    Free Member

I have the RS81’s 24’s on mine. Running 10 speed Di2. Comes with the 11 to 10 speed spacer and use the cassette spacer too, if you are on 10 sp. Run nice and smooth. Climb very light, although bike weighs 7.25 kg with them. You don’t need two cone spanners now to adjust the bearings, its just a knurled washer, which is very clever. Found the rear to not be very straight when new, but have only done 50 miles and thought I would let it bed in and then true. Makes my Hope Pro 3’s seem heavy in comparison. I am happy with them and got them from Merlins too. They do come with the spoke keys as well.

plus-one

I ran the rs80’s for few years .. Cracking wheels for the money

nosaintangel
    Free Member

got them on my no1 bike great climbing wheels.good price that.

hora
    Free Member

Nice wheels. But…

Ultegra 6800 wheelset is very similar but a fair bit cheaper (£231 at Merlin with the 5%) and hardly any heavier. Also tubeless ready, for those interested.

Holy thread resurrection. I read that fitting clinchers onto tubeless rims can be a pita? Considering I wont be using tubeless/a tubeless setup why bother with the hassle at the side of the road?

Merlin is £330 for RS81/C24 verses a £100 less for the Ultegra’s- which are 100gm’s heavier. I imagine they are the same hub(?).

Is it worth shelling out the extra £100 to get just enough benefit out of a upgrade to make an upgrade worthwhile? (coming from FSA Team 30s).

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

How did this get resurrected after ten months.? Anywho they are OK but don’t go out in the rain because the drive side bearings and freehub are not watertight.

hora
    Free Member

I was googling for the difference/if its worth the extra £100.

Thrustyjust
    Free Member

Not had any problem with water ingress into the hubs. In fact every time I took it out when I fitted Di2, it was biblical rain for the first 4 times.I was more worried abut electrocution from a carbon frame and batteries than wheels grinding. I have stripped and fitted ceramic bearings now, just because ( They are all 3/32 front and back). They are super easy to service with just 2 6mm allen keys. I have trued my own back wheel round recently, as that was my only ‘issue’ from new. They go round, they are light on climbing, them haven’t broken, so for me, they seem totally fine and I weigh 16 stone too.

boxxer7
    Free Member

Got a pair on my road bike, had them for 9 months i think it is now, i use them for commuting i do around 100-120 miles a week and they’ve been fine, front could use a slight truing though i just keep forgetting to do it.

hora
    Free Member

For commuting? It’d be for weekend-best duties for me. I’ll be keeping the FSA Team 30’s for a commuter/ratbuild!

hora
    Free Member

I spoke to Madison: Basically the Ultregra and RS81 is the same hub, just a different rim. Slight mm difference in rim height on the front between them and 150gms. Thats what your saving.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Shimano RS81 C24 Roadie wheels Advice.’ is closed to new replies.