Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Shimano rotors – Icetec vs Non?
  • Duane…
    Free Member
    Duane…
    Free Member

OK apparently the RT76s are aluminium/steel mix, so how are they different to the Icetechs? Are they not layered?

cynic-al
    Free Member

Oh dear.

Icetechs can melt.

Northwind

The only report I’ve seen of icetechs melting is the german magazine one, but they used an unconvincing lab test to do it… Has anyone ever managed it in the real world?

Not that convinced it’s a good idea myself, dissimiliar expansion rates seem likely to increase the risk of warping. Kind of seems like a solution to a problem that doesn’t exist, overheating brakes is rider error most of the time and bad hardware most of the rest of the time.

raisinhat
    Free Member

The RT76s are a steel brake track and an aluminium spider to save some weight, not layered like the RT86. I’ve not heard anything bad about the icetech ones, but I’ve never had a problem with my 76s either.

mrmo
    Free Member

The only report I’ve seen of icetechs melting is the german magazine one, but they used an unconvincing lab test to do it… Has anyone ever managed it in the real world?

read the ctc mag, they got one to melt on a tandem

honourablegeorge

Northwind – Member

Not that convinced it’s a good idea myself, dissimiliar expansion rates seem likely to increase the risk of warping.

This.

I assume Shimano know what they’re doing, but it does sound like a bad idea to me.

Have RT76s on all my bikes, recommend them thoroughly.

nwill1
    Free Member

The ice tech just avoid/reduce fade on long decents, if your ridding somewhere like the Alps apparently a good idea, most UK DH and trails probably won’t benefit as the non ice tech are still very good paired with XT brakes. I ride the non ice tech and I’ve never noticed any fade anyway with my XT’s or previous SLX.

Northwind

mrmo – Member

read the ctc mag, they got one to melt on a tandem

Under what conditions though? Just everyday riding? Long dragging on a descent? What I’m getting at is, is it relevant? Any brake can be made to fail if poked with the right stick

Duane…
    Free Member

Ended up going with the M76s, fair bit cheaper and sure they’ll be OK.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Shimano rotors – Icetec vs Non?’ is closed to new replies.