• This topic has 13 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by tomd.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Shimano Rotors and 'Resin Only' pads – will I die?
  • jekkyl

bought some new brakes and they came with rotors marked ‘resin only’ – What will happen if I use sintered pads, just wear out quicker?
    I’m guessing they’re just a lower grade alloy/steel, is that right? so I’m probably okay using sintered pads for a bit then or a complete no no?

thepodge
    Free Member

I have them one one of my bikes and the only thing I have noticed is they aren’t as good at stopping you.

orangespyderman

You might be ok but I believe the difference is how they handle the extra heat that sintered pads can generate. If they get very hot I believe they warp. They’ll also wear quickly because the surface treatment ain’t the same either. Personally, I’d not do it, but I suspect others have and haven’t died doing it. Of course those that have but did die as a result won’t be here to tell you about it, so keep that in mind as the replies come in 😀

jekkyl

lol, thanks. Off to the sales and wanted pages I go. 2nd hand rotors are pennies, aren’t they.

biglee1

Check out the price of resin pads too, it might end up being cheaper.

jimw
    Free Member

I find the Shimano resin pads last well and are very effective so have never bothered with sintered pads.

Not sure about other brands of resin pads though.

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

IF you’re stuck, you can probably get away with running a bad combo for a while.
    And second hand discs do only go for pennies, thats why i’ve got a pile of slightly worn ones waiting to find a use for. Not worth selling.

stanleigh
    Free Member

I’ve been using sintered on Shimano rotors for a while now , they work fine , no excessive wear. I just buy what ever is going cheap , less choice with centre lock .

orangespyderman

I’ve been using sintered on Shimano rotors for a while now , they work fine

So have I. What I was saying is that I wouldn’t run sintered on the lower end Shimano rotors that say “for resin pads only” on them. Clearly Shimano do also make some of their rotors that work correctly with their sintered pads 🙂

ransos
    Free Member

I’m using that combo on my commuting bike. I believe the issue is accelerated wear, so I’ll get around to buying some better rotors at some point.

orangespyderman

I’m using that combo on my commuting bike.

Not seen you commute, and not wanting to try and dis you by saying this 😀 , but I suspect in that usage scenario the additional heat is less of an issue than “proper” MTB’ing. As I understand it they don’t like getting hot much either.

carlos
    Free Member

As above, you’ll prob not die but the wear rate of the rotors will be quicker and noisy when damp/wet/dirty, or at least Fast Si’s are and he’s running those stickered up rotors and Uber sintered pads.

His plan is to swap out the rotors for a higher spec Shimano once they are fubar

orangeboy
    Free Member

Our old saturday boy at work ignored the resin pad only and the rotors got so chewed up after he went away to Wales for a week. They were totaly shot

tomd
    Free Member

I tried using sintered pads on these rotors. I didn’t die but it did sound like I was murdering a turkey by battering with a piglet on long descents.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Shimano Rotors and 'Resin Only' pads – will I die?’ is closed to new replies.