Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Shimano Rotors And Brake Pulse.
  • singlespeedstu

Anyone else using Shimano 203 floating* rotors and get annoying brake pulse?
    It doesn’t seem to happen with the 180 rotor which is the same shape/design.
    Happening with Zee and XT brakes.
    *Yes I know they don’t float.

Kahurangi

I’ve used the ice-tech and the steel shimano rotors, 203 and 180 mm. They all pulse a bit. The judder is obv much more noticeable on the front thanks to forks being flexy.

singlespeedstu

Do you not find that the 203 is a lot worse than the 180 though?
    I’m thinking about switching rotors to another brand.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Kahurangi

Thinking about it, on my main bike I’ve only used both types of 203 on the front and both types of 180 on the rear. I haven’t used 180 on the front at all so can’t really help, sorry.

SWMBO has the 180 on the front of hers and it is still pulse-y but I can’t say if it’s much better or worse.

chamley
    Free Member

Yeah I was using them with a previous generation SLX brake which was apparently compatible but it was juddering so badly the headset kept coming loose. It was so bad that as I slowed down, I could feel the moment when the pulse frequency matched the fork resonance, the shaking was horrible! I switched back to an older non icetech 203 and everything was ok again.

I’ve since used 203 icetechs with modern deores and didn’t notice the judder at all, but they weren’t bedded in particularly well, so not much help

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Shimano Rotors And Brake Pulse.’ is closed to new replies.