Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Shimano road wheels.
  • YoKaiser
    Free Member

Anyone using any of the Shimano road wheel range? I’m looking at the RS30 or RS21 models, though the lower end ones look ok too. I’m keen on something that’ll last, the eastons that were fitted died quite quick and the Planet X model B’s freehub has had it as well.

CaptainSlow

I picked up some ultegra wheels for about £230. Only had em a couple of months but they seem nice and feel well built.

RustySpanner

RS30’s here.
    Three years abuse without issue.

Not the lightest but they are very stiff & strong.
    Been off road a few times, no problem.

If I had the cash I’d still rather have handbuilt traditional wheels, but for £135 you really can’t go wrong.

And the stickers come off!

cynic-al
    Free Member

For my money they are durable – C&C and easily replaceable freehub (AFAIK).

maxlite
    Free Member

Ultegra are great wheels for the price and £219 at mo on Ribble, plus 10% off till Tue

mudsux
    Free Member

Ultegra’s here too. Fit and forget. Not the blingest looking but competitive weight and performance.
    Also had the RS10s for training and winter riding and they have been faultless for years.
    Shimano road use cup/cone – which may be why they have good longevity and reliability.
    If I were looking again I might look at some Fulcrums, Campag or some Pro-lites.

YoKaiser
    Free Member

Those Ultegra wheels are nice, though I’ve gone from replacing a freehub to buying a new pair of wheels, stretching to the Ultegras might be a step too far. They’ll be used to commuting and winter use and if I ever do another cross race that too.

houndlegs
    Free Member

I’m looking at new wheels. I’ve never found any weight limits for shimano wheels. Anyone have any info/experience as to the upper limit those ultegras would take?

crazybaboon

I’m 97kg and have 2 pairs of Ultegras 6700 wheels, they’ve had over 2 years of constant use including racing cross on them.
    They’ve always been used tubeless, they’ve never had a tool on them still running straight and true, I’m going to service the hubs this winter, they don’t need it I’m just hoping to give them a long life!
    They’re worth every penny, I had some dura ace c24s, but sold them as I felt they were a bit flexible and broke a couple of spokes, I’d rather use the Ultegras

ajc
    Free Member

Just make sure the bearings aren’t too tight when you get them. I didn’t adjust mine and a cone pitted in 600 miles. The wheel was replaced under warranty, but cup and cones are not fit and forget wheels. Rs 80’s. nice wheels otherwise.

shermer75
    Free Member
    takisawa2

RS30’s here. No issues. Would happily buy again.

joolsburger
    Free Member

I’m really happy with my rs30s cheap and pretty bombproof.

YoKaiser
    Free Member

Cheers, as tempting as the Ultegra argument was, it looks like the RS30s will fit the bill. BTW £109 at Ribble this weekend.

houndlegs
    Free Member

Given that I’m 95kg,what would be best,the ultegras, or a set of handbuilts 105 hubs with open pro rims( I think that’s what they are),both similar price. Recreational riding only. Help me spend my money on something.

cheshirecat
    Free Member

I had RS10s for a couple of years, and they were OK, but started to break spokes after a couple of years.

Now have RS30s, and they’re a big improvement. Not the lightest, but they seem to roll pretty well and are fairly stiff. I’m only 75kgs though.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Shimano road wheels.’ is closed to new replies.