Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Shimano road groupset equivalent to Deore
  • jl.
    Free Member

I’m looking to get my first road bike. Like the title says, what’s the shimano road groupset equivalent to Deore? ie something that’s functional, last reasonaly well and I won’t need to upgrade after the first ride?

Thanks

druidh
    Free Member

Sora

SpokesCycles
    Free Member

Tiagra is the direct equivalent, Sora is Alivio level. Based purely on rear mech prices (and quality I find).

oldgit
    Free Member

Probably Tiagra?
    Perfectly functional. The only difference I’ve noticed compared to 105 is that 105 STIs seem smoother, but that could be because of the whole 105 gear/brake package.
    I had Tiagra on a Sportive bike that I clocked up some good miles on, I raced it too but that’s when it felt a little out of it’s depth.
    Edit; Tiagra also uses the HT11 bottom bracket system which is nice to have at the price.

colande
    Free Member

hmmmmmnnn
    shimano also has the 2300 groupset which slots in below sora, this is like alivio
    it kinda pushes sora up to deore level,
    I’d say sora is definitely reliable and functional, without the pazazz

edhornby

yep, sora=deore

tiagra=SLX
    105 = XT
    ultegra = saint
    Dura ace = XTR
    DI2 = yumeya

midlifecrashes

My opinion, but could be wrong

DuraAce=XTR
    Ultegra=XT
    105=SLX
    Tiagra=Deore
    Sora=Alivio

Big difference is between Sora and Tiagra, Sora you need to reach up on the hoods to upshift, all the higher ranges have the double lever setup. Sora has button/mini lever on inside of hood. They all work though.

Edit:Intenseswearfilteravoidanceyoubeatchyourfastertyingedhornby.

SpokesCycles
    Free Member

I somewhat doubt that there is a “Saint” equivalent for road biking, unless Contador is doing things on his road bike that’re rad to the power of sick.

bigant

I somewhat doubt that there is a “Saint” equivalent for road biking, unless Contador is doing things on his road bike that’re rad to the power of sick.

Depends how much steak he’s eaten.

Mister-P
    Free Member

Midlife is correct. 2300 series is kind of Acera level.

foxyrider
    Free Member

I agree with Midlife as I have had 105 and Ultegra, deore, LX, SLX, XT and XTR 🙂

DuraAce=XTR
    Ultegra=XT
    105=SLX
    Tiagra=Deore
    Sora=Alivio

Mister-P
    Free Member

Although to answer the original question I ran a Sora groupset quite happily for thousands of miles. Road stuff all just works. I wouldn’t be put off by Sora if budget dictates it but Tiagra will feel slicker. I currently run Ultegra which is very smooth.

crazy-legs

foxyrider – Member

I agree with Midlife as I have had 105 and Ultegra, deore, LX, SLX, XT and XTR

DuraAce=XTR
    Ultegra=XT
    105=SLX
    Tiagra=Deore
    Sora=Alivio

Foxyrider speaketh the truth.
    I had Sora on an old CX bike a few years ago, it was fine – it coped with the Three Peaks anyway!
    Road stuff doesn’t have to put up with anywhere near the beating that MTB components get so it tends to just work. Shifting gets better as you go up the range definitely, Ultegra shifts are smoother and require a shorter throw of the lever compared to Tiagra for example.

joemarshall
    Free Member

Sora works, but the shifters are really quite annoying if you ever use the drops. Tiara works, and has usable shifters.

Well worth upgrading at least the shifters to tiagra.

jl.
    Free Member

Thanks for the replies guys. Seems like both Sora and Tiagra will work fine. If Sora’s more like Alivio then that should be OK. My wife’s MTB has Alivio and as it’s only used in the dry, on road and firetrails and has held up well over many years and many miles.

I’d only be using it once or twice a week so I’m sure both will be fine although if I can spare the change I’ll go Tiagra.

cp

The big bonus with Tiagra for me is as joemarshall says, the shifters on Sora are a PITA. Tiagra has the proper Shimano dual lever thing going on, rather than separate thumb levers for up shifts, ala Campag.

foxyrider
    Free Member

I went from 105 shifters (old style) to the new style Ultegra and there is a pretty big difference in the ability to shift and brake – not sure if its as big from going SLX to XT though ?

jonb
    Free Member

I have Sora and everything is fine apart from the shifters. I thought they were ok until I got a nice bike with Ultegra and now realise that the shift mechanism is rubbish and inconvenient.

If you are building up yourself then you might be able to get away with mix and match to get tiagra where it matters more. Personally I’d go with Tiagra all over. Some good groupset offers around.

Steve-Austin
    Free Member

I don’t think you can say what is equal to Deore. Deore works well and does its job, and as you go up the ranges get better lighter etc.
    If you want the equivalent in terms of price its probably Tiagra. In terms of function i reckon you are better off saving for 105, as Tiagra is incredibly clunky, and not comparable to Deore.

Something you might want to bear in mind is that Road parts last longer so any investment made at initial purchase will last longer anyway. Have a look at complete bikes with 105 parts, you’ll appreciate the better quality shifting

ahwiles
    Free Member

i’d say deore = tiagra

both offer all the features of the more expensive stuff, but heavier, and a bit clunkier.

the sora shifters would get annoying very quickly.

tiagra stuff is jolly good.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Shimano road groupset equivalent to Deore’ is closed to new replies.