Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Shimano road bike drivetrain compatibility help needed
  • spawnofyorkshire

building up the loverly Genesis Equilibrium frame that i bought off Dickie.
    Final piece of the puzzle is the need to buy a new Front Mech, I’m running 9sp shimano still with ST-3500 shifters. Would the new 105 FD-5800 work?
    I’ve gotten myself into a tizzy fit trying to work out what to purchase
    Whatever i get it needs to be black and 28.6/31.8mm band on and give me scope to fit in upgrades down the line

I’ve already been thrown for a curve with the whole “New Super SLR” brake pull ratio thing which I’ve now resolved as not being a problem

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Is the 3500 shifter a double or triple or a universal version? It used to be that the cheaper shimano front STI’s just had lots of clicks and worked as a pseudo friction shifter, rather than having two or three distinct positions and minor trim positions. If it is the universal type it won’t matter what mech you use. If it’s not I’d just get a 3500 front mech to avoid having to think too much about it, I suspect it’s the ‘old’ cable pull so not compatible with 5800.

eshershore
    Free Member

@spawn

the front derailleur geometry and cable pull was radically changed on the new 11 speed groupsets, so the 5800 front mech won’t work with 3500, 5700, 6700, etc.

even the new Tiagra 10 speed front and rear mechs don’t work with the previous generation Tiagra 10 speed, as I found out 2 weeks ago trying to do a repair for a customer

spawnofyorkshire

thank you both, I’m just going to order the sora one. Have the Sora double shifters

Been on one of those really annoying paths where over the past 9 months have replaced the whole drivetrain bit by bit as it’s worn out and if i’d done it all at once would have just gone 11spd 105 and been done with it… next year probably will do that

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Shimano road bike drivetrain compatibility help needed’ is closed to new replies.