Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • shimano rear hub
  • seosamh77
    Free Member

how many bearings should there be?

I’ve pulled out 17 but I was expecting 18? Do I have one stuck inside?

FH-m435

cheers for any imput.

seosamh77
    Free Member

tis ok, found the other yin!

seosamh77
    Free Member

Right now next question, replacing the bearings didn’t solve my problem, but I found out what the problem is.

I’m getting a clicking noise, when I had it apart it looks like on of the surfaces is not perfect, hence the clicking.

Question is how bad do you think this is, i know ultimately it’ll probably mean replacing the hub, but do you think it’ll be fine just to run it in to the ground for another year or so?

Shouldn’t really cause me any problems should it? Might keep a cone spanner, grease and bearings in my bag mind you just incase! 😀

druidh
    Free Member

Spin the wheel and I’ll try to assess how bad the clicking is from here….

Maybe it would work better if you held the wheel up to your monitor?

seosamh77
    Free Member

give me a minute, I’ll go get the wheel! 😀

cynic-al
    Free Member

Clicking? I’ve not seen bearing wear cause a noise other than a “rumble”.

Anyway you can often keep them going long after they start to feel rough though many will accuse you of being not being a good mechanic or some nonsense.

seosamh77
    Free Member

Aye, tis like a single pro2 click every revolution, occasionally 2. It still feels smooth enough when you test it with your fingers. Only time the clicking happens is when i’m on the bike, won’t happen is yoou spin the wheel or walk along with it.

bm0p700f
    Free Member

Clicking is not the noise of a pitted hub. Is it the hub that is pitted or the cones. If the hub is pitted then putting new bearings and grease in is the best you can do. And yes the hub will keep running but it will not get any better.

seosamh77
    Free Member

any ideas of where else to look, everything else seems fine.

cynic-al
    Free Member

bm0p700f you can replace cones easily and cup or freehub with a little more effort.

OP is the sounds present all the time? or when pedalling or freewheeling only? Could be a pedal?

Does sound like a freehub issue, there are tools to flush them with grease but I am told WD40/soak plus soak in gearbox oil works well.

bikewhisperer
    Free Member

Did you drop the 18th bearing back into the body of the hub? It won’t work properly unless you do that.

seosamh77
    Free Member

Happens when on the bike, peddling or freewheeling.

I’ve another bike, I might swap the wheels just to confirm it is the actual hub(or atleast the wheel.), but i’m pretty certain that’s what it is..as when i had it open the was an imperfection on one of the faces.

seosamh77
    Free Member

bikewhisperer – Member
    Did you drop the 18th bearing back into the body of the hub? It won’t work properly unless you do that.

Nah I found it in the end.

bikewhisperer
    Free Member

damn.. no fooling you!
    Did all your new bearings come out of the same packet? If you have odd ones in there then they can be miss-sized.
    new cones are cheap.. bout £3 each. You can get a whole hub for peanuts though.

seosamh77
    Free Member

can you believe it was the tyre beading! I was almost close to getting the wheel rebuilt with a new hub! 😀 Swapped tyre around, clicking gone! thank god, was doing my nut in!

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘shimano rear hub’ is closed to new replies.