Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Shimano R515/CX75 mechanical calliper recall – anyone affected?
  • ir_bandito
    Free Member

I’ve got a set of R515s which in theory have been recalled.
    How do I get them changed? and why?
    I don’t have a LBS to take them into, so no properly local shimano dealer.

What’s the difference with the newer R517s?

xanboy
    Free Member

You take them into a dealer and they send them back and you get sent a replacement.

If you run your pads down to the metal plate on both sides, then you can pop the piston out of the helix. It’s a voluntary recall

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Cheers xanboy.

29erKeith
    Free Member

I’ve got 505’s on my CDF which did this a while ago. I posted about it.

Scared the Sh– out of me when it happened, turned out I didn’t need a replacement calliper just new pads and an adjustment. You just need to be careful not to run the pads down and use the cable adjustment but instead use the piston adjustment instead (2mm allen down the centre of the pistons). Still not a great design as Xanboy says the piston jumps out of the helix which results in the brakes almost completely releasing and the level coming to the bars.

If it’s on a recall though go for it, I’d not heard about the recall, I wonder if mine are covered?

29erKeith
    Free Member

Nope, mine not covered, but sound like the same problem.

tbh it is partially user error i.e. it is how you adjust them that allows it to happen, but then on the other hand the cable adjustment is the most obvious adjustment. I didn’t find the piston adjusters until I was looking really closely after the problem had occurred. So still bad design imo.

When it’s time for a replacement’s I’ll be going for hydro STI’s, musc more fit and forget, cable discs are ok just need a little bit more fettling than hydro’s

bornonaboat

the tektro lyra brakes on my genesis day one did this whenever the pads got low, not a recognised problem according to the tektro importers.

midlifecrashes

Must chase up the LBS. I went in with my CX75s a few weeks ago, they said I’d have to send them back for a swap to CX77. I said I’ll wait until CX77s appear in stock as I didn’t want to be off the bike. good brake though, apart from this issue, and the fact that you need too many sizes of hex key to install and adjust.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Shimano R515/CX75 mechanical calliper recall – anyone affected?’ is closed to new replies.