Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Shimano Press Fit BB removal & alternative replacement recommendations.
  • hillsplease

Gents

Any handy and preferably inexpensive options for this? It’s one of these plastic clad horrors and whislt normally it’d be ‘dead blow hammer and socket set extension bar’ I’m a bit wary. It’s my own fault for having had a new bike this year. Chainset’s XT.

All ideas greatfully received including ‘MTFU and crack on.’

Intending to press if back in with a headset press. Anyone done this?

Any recommended alternatives?

Also – why on earth do we need another B B ‘standard?’ Thus far in my ridng career we ‘ve had cup & bearing square taper – Italian/Japenese sq taper, square taper (sealed), FAG, Octalink, ISIS, external, now press fit. Never mind Italian threads on BB shells and axle diameters.

Thanks

Paul

cheers_drive

If you indend to replace it then you need to use the proper tools which is like a headset cut removal tool. If not just drift it out by tapping all round. It will destroy it. Replace with the Enduro version which is much better (still plastic cups but that is good as rather the cup fail that the BB shell).
    You will need at adapter for you headset press to puss it back in or if you feel lucky tap it in will a soft faced hammer.

hillsplease

Many thanks – the headset drive works for the 1.5 heasets – and on a ‘compare to existing’ seems that it’d load both faces of the bearing.Is there any reason this won’t work or is the issue that it shifts under the compressive force and then won’t line up?

Thanks again

Paul

honourablegeorge

I just removed mine with a combination of a screwdriver and the wooden handle of a toilet plunger, and fitted replacement with a big hammer.

I’d recommend the proper tool – there’s an Icetoolz one on EBay very cheap

ratherbeintobago

Many thanks – the headset drive works for the 1.5 heasets – and on a ‘compare to existing’ seems that it’d load both faces of the bearing

Will probably be OK but having just had to press BB30 bearings in, it works much better with the proper collets even on a homebrew headset press. I think the Park ones for Shimano PF are #669 but there are alternatives, including Shimano’s own tool.

Andy

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Shimano Press Fit BB removal & alternative replacement recommendations.’ is closed to new replies.