Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • Shimano or SRAM?
  • molgrips
    Free Member

Further to the 1x thread – if I were upgrading both mech and shifter, should I consider SRAM? Normally for me it’d be a toss-up betwen XT or XTR depending on what’s available at what level of discount.

wrecker
    Free Member

Flip a coin mate, they’re both good.
    I think I prefer SRAM overall but that’s just preference, I couldn’t quantify it.

hot_fiat

possibly. I’d keep off eagle for the moment. I keep seeing posts about its fragility. It certainly feels fragile in use.

kimbers

top end sram is very nice, more innovative than top end shimano, both great to use
    cheap shimano (slx & below) is excellent
    cheap sram stuff (x9,gx and below) is flimsy overpriced crap

vincienup
    Free Member

Personally, I love X0 but it ain’t cheap. I’d tend to GX mech with X1 shifter, and 1150 GX cassette. It’s the range that’s important to me, though: so I’d happily consider 1150 cassette and XT shifting. The bombproof cassette is great. I’m a great believer that control of shifting is more important than the derailleur beyond base level, so I tend to run a better pod than mech. Shimano 11sp makes no sense to me personally, I need to run a bigger front ring and the bigger 11-46 cassette to get where I want to be in terms of top and bottom. If I was after bang for buck and sod the weight, M7000 cassette, 36 front and M8000 shifting would be hard to see past simply because of that cassette that’s usually around 30-40 quid.

I often think SRAMs range is misunderstood by people coming from a Shimano background. I feel GX is somewhere between SLX and XT, X1 is basically XT but rare in non-oem, X0 is about XTR trail and XX is pretty much XTR Race- the no holds barred XC light and money no object group. X0 and XX are very similar apart from materials and therefore strength and durability. The big differences once you graduate past X1 are in the cassette, and compared to the Hope and XTR M9001 cassettes, SRAM prices aren’t that bad. As always, it’s the perceived price of Shimano due to heavy discounting that makes SRAM look as expensive as it does.

chakaping
    Free Member

Xt mech and shifter
    Sram GX cassette (10-42t)*
    Whatever chain you like
    Seuperstar narrow-wide ring on your existing chainset

* if your wheel takes an XD driver

AlexSimon

I’ve been very happy with SRAM X1 after years and years and years on XT and XTR.
    The only thing I don’t like is being locked into SRAM brakes if you want the default Reverb lever to fit. Everybody seems to like Guides, but they’ve never felt great to me.

Nothing beats the 2003 3×9 XTR Rapid Rise (without the flappy paddles though) 🙂

I’ve only just switched to GX Eagle, so too early to say on that.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

10 speed Shimano.

I’m still at the “How f****** much?” point with both the price and weight of 11 speed, let alone 12. I’m sure they only exist so that when they inevitably release a gearbox everyone will look at the weight and price and think it’s an improvement.

GX 12 speed 1850g
    Pinion C.12 2100g

chrismac

Shimano but thats because I like the 2 way operation of the shifter

P-Jay
    Free Member

I chose Shimano as the stuff seems an awful lot cheaper than SRAM and would work with my existing hub.

My XT set-up has worked pretty much flawlessly well until yesterday, but in fairness I abused it terribly.

It’s a shame their dropper post (which admittedly they don’t advertise as Shimano) was half as reliable.

mattbee

XTR shifter with XT mech.

molgrips
    Free Member

I often save money on cassettes since they are disposable. Seems like from the other thread that a SRAM cassette is the way to go even if I use Shimano shifter and mech.

chakaping
    Free Member

I’m still at the “How f****** much?” point with both the price and weight of 11 speed, let alone 12. I’m sure they only exist so that when they inevitably release a gearbox everyone will look at the weight and price and think it’s an improvement.

GX 12 speed 1850g
    Pinion C.12 2100g

How do you think they compare on efficiency?

molgrips
    Free Member

Aren’t gearboxes more efficient than hub gears due to larger internals?

How efficient is 1×12 with what must be Satan’s own chain line?

vincienup
    Free Member

Based on 11sp mtb, Shimano shifting of some combination and GX cassette is the best possible combo of range and price I think, yes.

My biggest criticism of the GX range is the shifter. I really dislike it, it feels much cheaper than the rest of the range. I suppose this is simply to differentiate from the rest of the 11sp range though.

molgrips
    Free Member

So.. X0 is like XTR? And XX is like the ludicrous bling version of XTR they brought out?

AlexSimon

GX 12 speed 1850g
    Pinion C.12 2100g

Haven’t you just compared the gearbox-only with the whole GX groupset.
    So should be 2100g vs 738g for GX

nickfrog
    Free Member

chakaping – Member
    Xt mech and shifter
    Sram GX cassette (10-42t)*
    Whatever chain you like

That’s what I run. The difference in shifting quality between the XT cassette and the SRAM GX cassette is significant, which surprised me. The XT cassette looks medieval too, they need to do something to fix range and obvious lack of innovation.

vincienup
    Free Member

So.. X0 is like XTR? And XX is like the ludicrous bling version of XTR they brought out?

Pretty much. X0 is basically XTR Trail and XX is the no expense spared for the grams XTR Race. The X0 shifter and mech are bloody lovely, but you could buy most of a group for what they cost.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

GX for me, sits on par or slightly above XT for performance and floats on a cloud for weight and range.
    Only used the grip shift which is close to the XO version.

walleater

Sram – innovative designs that people generally want but often badly executed.
    Shimano – do whatever the hell they want but seem to do that really well.

I wish there were more options to be honest.

MaryHinge
    Free Member

I must be a real cheapskate!

I’m perfectly happy with my SRAM NX 11 speed shifter and mech, with a Shimano 42 cassette and SRAM chain, plus Superstar N/W oval ring.

Can’t fault any of it.

Think it was less than £100 for the lot.

chakaping
    Free Member

Sram – innovative designs that people generally want but often badly executed.
    Shimano – do whatever the hell they want but seem to do that really well.

Can’t argue with that.

As above the mix & match approach works pretty well.

However Sram are **** for not doing a 10-44t or 10-46t cassette in 11sp.

nickfrog
    Free Member

However Sram are **** for not doing a 10-44t or 10-46t cassette in 11sp

You could simply fit a 30t upfront for the same result (assuming you haven’t already done that!)

crumpygrunt
    Free Member

XT shifter and mech 10 speed. Tried and tested for years. New stuff needs to see more use before reliability issues will be resolved. If you need more than 10 gears on a 1x setup, get yourself fitter/stronger or a bigger front ring. Before we know it people will have cassettes the size of dinner plates on their back wheel!! 😆

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Before we know it people will have cassettes the size of dinner plates on their back wheel!!

There is a long list of people who need to find an actual dinner plate… Anyway go look at molgrips other 11dp thread no real 11sp fails there, think after 4 odd years sram have it nailed.

shortcut

Well, it depends whether you want to go 12 speed or not.

kimbers

However Sram are **** for not doing a 10-44t or 10-46t cassette in 11sp

they arent silly, you can pay the ugrade tax to 12 speed

fortunately Sunrace/ Shimano to the rescue!

chakaping
    Free Member

You could simply fit a 30t upfront for the same result (assuming you haven’t already done that!)

Way ahead of you mate.

The 30t x 10t give me about as fast a gear as I need, but I could do with a slightly easier gear for climbing.

I know why they don’t offer this, planned obsolescence, but it’s still annoying.

chakaping
    Free Member

fortunately Sunrace/ Shimano to the rescue!

Want to keep XD driver though.

lunge

Shimano. Been stung a couple of times with SRAM releasing things and using the first buyers as beta testers. Shimano just works, it may not always be innovative or as exciting as some of the new, shiny SRAM stuff but you know it will work.

Many, many years ago (we’re talking 90’s here) I was told by a bike shop mechanic, probably in relation to a Suntour product, that you need a very good reason to not buy Shimano, having ignored this a few times and been stung, I now stick to this advice. They’re one of very few brands that I am genuinely loyal to.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Ah yes they I once bought crap line…
    I remember the shimano rear mechs before shadow that seemed to explode or the wholly unsuitable external bb’s they first released and the leaky brakes.
    Id suggest trying sram 11,it might change your mind.

steve_b77
    Free Member

I’m a Shimano fan if I’m honest, had SRAM 9 & 10 speed and it’s not bad, just not Shimano.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

had SRAM 9 & 10 speed and it’s not bad, just not Shimano.

So no idea about the 11sp 😉
    Got XT 10sp and the GX 11sp was better for me.

lunge

Ah yes they I once bought crap line…
    I remember the shimano rear mechs before shadow that seemed to explode or the wholly unsuitable external bb’s they first released and the leaky brakes.
    Id suggest trying sram 11,it might change your mind.

For every Shimano issue there are more SRAM ones. GXP BB’s were worse than even early HT2, SRAM mechs that went sloppy within months and SRAM/Avid brakes were appalling.

I suppose I could try 11 speed SRAM but then why would I when Shimano works so well anyway?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

It’s more a point about commenting from experience rather than history

chakaping
    Free Member

Got XT 10sp and the GX 11sp was better for me.

So you haven’t tried XT 11sp shifting?

Personally I think it’s better than GX, though I’m sure you understand that equipment preference is subjective.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

yep I did on a demo somewhere along the way, think I’ve tried 10sp Sram x9, x0 Shimano SLX XT and a heap of the 9sp stuff.

Plenty of personal preference in there but it’s always fun when people who have never tried any of them know what it’s like

lunge

It’s more a point about commenting from experience rather than history

Not an unfair comment. However, in a time precious world trying every systems is difficult, so yes, I use historical performance to shape my decisions, I’m comfortable with that.

vincienup
    Free Member

So you haven’t tried XT 11sp shifting?

Personally I think it’s better than GX, though I’m sure you understand that equipment preference is subjective.

Subjective always, contact points and drivetrains are.

GX shifting improves markedly if you use a better trigger pod. The standard item is horrid. Use an X1 pod and it’s actually quite good. I have a bike configured this way and another with M8000 shift on GX cassette currently. I tried the M8000 cassette and didn’t like it. For me, it’s more about integration with other components as far as controls are concerned, I’m comfortable with either brand although I’d run X0 if money was no object – purely for preference rather than any functional concern.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)

The topic ‘Shimano or SRAM?’ is closed to new replies.