Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Shimano (or other brands) 12×142 axles
  • ajantom

I’m converting my bike to 12 x 142 with some new wheels and new swopout dropouts. But a little confused by 12mm axles!

Various brands do them, I’m erring on the side of shimano as their QRs tend to be pretty solid and reliable. But will all designs fit all 12×142 hubs and frames?

Also, I’ll need one with a nut on one end – online pics show them with and without them. Do all the Shimano ones come with nuts? It’s not mentioned in any spec lists on the various shops I’ve looked at.

Loath to spend maybe £30 on one and it not to fit or have a nut on!

ratherbeintobago

Do the swap outs not come with an axle?

teethgrinder

Different brands have different pitch threads e.g. Shimano 142×12 axle doesn’t fit in a 2016 Banshee dropout.

superstu
    Free Member

Specific pitch to the dropout so depends on what yours is designed to take…

nickdavies

3 systems, syntace, shimano/fox and maxle.
    Any 142×12 wheel will work, but you need to get the correct back end and axle. Which frame is it?
    One would assume the swap outs would come with the axle but if not you need to find out and get one. You won’t have any choice as to which system it is, it’s whichever the frame manufacturer chose.

ajantom

It’s a DMR Bolt. The swopouts don’t come with an axle, and they don’t specify a brand of axle. Looking at the pictures there is no thread on either side, so I would assume (ha, more fool me!) that I just need an axle with a nut on one end to retain it when done up.

Dropouts:

scotroutes

https://shop.upgradebikes.co.uk/Catalogue/Dropout-Mech-Hanger/DMR/275-142-Swopout

Won’t you need the 3rd item on this list? That appears to be a 12mm QR.

It’s shown in the fitting instructions

http://shop.upgradebikes.co.uk/files/technical/dmr/DMRBolt27.5ConversionGuide.pdf

ajantom

I had seen that, but it appears to be a spin to tighten type, and they class it as ‘optional’. I’d prefer a cam-lock style (a la Shimano) as it seems more secure. I know, just making life difficult, but I prefer what I prefer!

egb81
    Free Member

I’ve got DMR swap outs, 142×12 and use a Shimano axle. Zealous Division frame.

ajantom

Cool, that’s the answer I’m after 😉 just need to make sure it comes with the nut.

ajantom

Well, for future reference (if anyone’s interested) it turns out Shimano 12×142 axles DO come with the nut. Well the AX-65 one I got did anyway (£15 brand new off of that ebay – bargain!)

mikewsmith
    Free Member

as it seems more secure. I know, just making life difficult, but I prefer what I prefer!

In nearly 4 years the Syntace spin to tighten one has never shifted on the back of the bike, the cam one on the other bike is more of a pain as you have to judge the point to turn before you cam it over. Seems pointless.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Shimano (or other brands) 12×142 axles’ is closed to new replies.