Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Shimano MW81 Comparable to Normal Shoes & Overshoes
  • fathomer

I rode with overshoes at the weekend for the first time on my road bike. I was amazed at how much warmer my feet where and I suffer from cold feet a lot, even in the summer at times.

Problem is I think overshoes are a bad idea when off road, especially when hiking up a peak district ascent and they’re a pain to get on and off.

So the question is, are the MW81’s as warm as normal shoes plus overshoes, any advice much appreciated as it’d be an expensive mistake!

hughjayteens
    Free Member

I hope so as I’ve just ordered some! Had overshoes on over my MP66s last week and they were toasty and keep your shoes very clean, but crap for grip and walking in mud so am hoping the MW81s live up to expectation.

druidh
    Free Member

FWIW, I’ve been known to wear MW80s AND overshoes (but only on the road).

IHN

are the MW81’s as warm as normal shoes plus overshoes

They’re warmer.

Expensive, but worth it. They were on sale at CRC last week, and if you can grab a CRC code from someone you’ll get them for less than a ton.

fathomer

IHN – Member
    are the MW81’s as warm as normal shoes plus overshoes

They’re warmer.

Expensive, but worth it. They were on sale at CRC last week, and if you can grab a CRC code from someone you’ll get them for less than a ton.
    Thanks for that, back up to £135, cheapest I can find is about £112.00 from a place I’ve never heard of and I need to wait till Christmas as I’m a bit skint!

druidh
    Free Member

They tend to go out of stock very quickly.

fathomer

druidh – Member
    They tend to go out of stock very quickly.

Might have to dig the credit card out then.

FuzzyWuzzy

About the same in the dry, although it’s traditional to go one size up (over your summer cycling shoes) for winter boots and wear thicker socks as standard (I can’t comfortably wear thick socks with my summer shoes) so warmer in that sense.
    Also I find in the wet they’re warmer as with overshoes the water is getting through the bottom quite quickly so you constantly have cold water whereas with winter boots it’s more like a wetsuit so if/when water does eventually get inside it does it slowly and has a chance to heat up so your feet stay warm.
    And as above, you can always use overshoes with winter boots if it’s seriously cold (although you’ll generally need a huge size overshoe).

baldman
    Free Member

For me they are warmer than normal shoes with neoprene style overshoes, but like Fuzzywuzzy I wear thicker socks too so that could be the reason!
    I had to go one size up compared to my other Shimano shoes for these so suggest you try before you buy.

Also a lot less hassle than my overshoes – especially if I need to walk in them at any point – front always lifted up off the toe.

gazc
    Free Member

got mine the other week for £95 with dizzy code from CRC – could just about justify them at that price but tbh they have been a revelation. loads warmer than my spesh shoes and overshoes and certainly warmer in the wet and grippier to walk in than overshoes. definitely go one size up than normal – mine have plenty of room for thicker socks unlike my summer shoes and probably another factor to help keep feet toasty

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Shimano MW81 Comparable to Normal Shoes & Overshoes’ is closed to new replies.