Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Shimano MT15 wheel, thoughts?
  • thetabber
    Free Member

Just taken delivery of a new set of MT15 wheels. Had a look at the hubs and there’s no ‘give’ but they are turning smoothly. Should i just get on with riding them or adjust and allow a little bit of play (prior to being installed and the quick release tightened so there’s no play), which my current M535 hubs (also cup n cone) always have?

Your advice would be appreciated

thetabber
    Free Member

bump

Stoatsbrother
    Free Member

if they spin smoothly without friction when on the bike – whats the problem? Surely the load on the cones should come primarily from the lock nuts not the QRs? Am I being silly? No problems running 755s and 765s set like that.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    thetabber
    Free Member

No that’s a fair point, the reason i ask is that all the serivce instructions for cup and cone hubs i’ve seen make reference to leaving a small amount of play, the QR doing the final bit of tightening (and avoiding over tightening in doing so). There’s no play in the new hub out of the frame – may be i’m being a bit OCD.

jimmyjames
    Free Member

I would adjust them as you describe in your first post. That’s my understanding of how they should be adjusted. Stoatsbrother: the QR compresses the axle slightly when it’s tightened, so as the OP says there should be a little play while the wheel is off the bike. This ensures there is no unnecessary preload on the bearings. Any extra pressure will increase wear, but as you say, if the wheel spins freely once installed it’s probably not too important.

Northwind

You’re overthinking it- fit them and see if they still spin freely. If not, slacken off.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Perfection is tightening a QR and feeling the play disappear.

Doubt it makes any difference to hub longevity though.

thetabber
    Free Member

Good stuff,thanks for the advice.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Shimano MT15 wheel, thoughts?’ is closed to new replies.