Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Shimano MP66 and flat pedals
  • carbon337
    Free Member

Do these shoes work well with flats or are they too stiff soled?

Im moving back to flats to try and get some confidence back on big descents but i will stick with a set of spds for flatter or more xc days.

I have M424 pedals – i imagine the mp66 shoes will work well with these for clipless days but will hey also work with a dmr type pedal when I want a flat pedal day?

zaskar
    Free Member

I use the MP56 without the spd option for commutes on Straitline flats and they are comfy, not stiff and possibly soft for some users.

stuartlangwilson
    Free Member

The problem is the big hole where the cleat should be. A large part of the contact patch is missing. Any shoe with a flat bottom would be a better choice for flat pedals.

zaskar
    Free Member

slw is right as I have foot on the pedal right on the area where you will have the spd.

Can you get the non spd version? or some Vans?

carbon337
    Free Member

any cheap alternatives then? vans airwalk etc?

momo

I really like the vans classic slip-ons for flat pedals, I have an old pair that I've used exclusively for biking for almost 4 years now.

stuartlangwilson
    Free Member

Whatever you like. Waffle sole Vans are popular.

TKmaxx will probably have something suitable for about 20 quid.

goodgrief
    Free Member

as mentioned, the cut-out for the cleat isn't ideal.
    I have the mp56, compared to these the mp66 is incredibly stiff in the sole.
    I've just changed to 5 10 freerides, tons more grip than the shimanos and the don't look as clunky as the regular 5 10s

carbon337
    Free Member

I suppose I'm looking for a one for all shoe and as we know with tyres that doesnt work.

5 10s sound ideal but £70 is quite steep to only use when I'm doing bigger downhill stuff.

Think i will try the mp66w and if they dont work with flats they will work with spds which i will probably use more to be honest, and get my self to sports soccer and get some skate shoes for the bigger days.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Shimano MP66 and flat pedals’ is closed to new replies.