Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Shimano Middle ring OK to use with RF inner and outer?
  • SiB
    Free Member

Chain slip on middle ring of RF chainset, is it ok to replace middle ring with a shimano or different brand to RF? Anyone know of any offers on middle rings or whole chainsets?

Thanks

z1ppy

Can’t say I’ve ever heard of issues, as they should be the std 104BCD
    Rosebikes are about the best I’ve currently seen ATM, you can actually buy deore/SLX (didn’t check the XT) rings & XTR BB, cheaper than a whole crankset (which has been a cheaper option previously).

Unless you soley use your middle ring, I’d be replaceing (or currently am on my bikes) all the rings, the cassette & chain. If one parts worn out, the rest won’t be far behind, and using a single new part in a worn setup will not lead to a long and healthy life for that part.

failedengineer

I’ve recently done that very thing, replaced the middle ring of a RF crankset with a steel Deore. Works perfectly. (The RF website advises against it BTW) I think the extra weight may be slowing me down, though. Or is it the pies?

SiB
    Free Member

new cassette and new chain already and inner and outer ring seem fine, just middle ring is slipping. Christams has finally caught up so just wanting cheapest remedy for now!

z1ppy

Deore from rosebikes (though may not be the cheapest option if you only buying a single chainring), cheap and a decent choice.

SiB
    Free Member

Thanks z1ppy. Any idea how long deliveries take as I need it by thursday eve and if its coming from germany……..?

z1ppy

couldn’t say to be honest, as this is my first order.
    So far, ordered (midday) the 18th, been shipped today.. expecting it maybe before Wednesday(?) – so don’t expect CRC next day delivery.
    £5-6 delivery charge to the UK, so really, you might be better checking CRC’s prices for a single item…

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Shimano Middle ring OK to use with RF inner and outer?’ is closed to new replies.