Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Shimano M975 XTR – What pads??
  • allmountain76
    Free Member

I need some new pads from my M975 XTR brakes. I am looking at the list on CRC. The genuine ones liik like this:
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=19004

But the older style XTR ones look like this:
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=42150

Are they the same shape? I am looking at Superstar but they dont list M975 pads – could i just use the ones for old XTR or even the new style M775 XT which also look the same?

Cant bear to pay £20 for genuine shimano ones!

sofatester
    Free Member

Cant bear to pay £20 for genuine shimano ones!

Should have thought about that when you bought them 😉

They are the same as the XT. SSC stock them, if you can bear the shame of using "value" components in your high end brakes that is! 😆

Northwind

Exact same as XTR as sofa says, I have an XTR set in my rear XT right now for some reason

grtdkad

I've just bought four pairs of 'value' SSC pads for my XTRs – look great. Have made the effort to bed two sets in over the last couple of days and feel fine…GBP25 for four pairs inc a kevlar weave.

😉

allmountain76
    Free Member

sofatester – i bought the brakes for £140 including rotors for the pair, hence the fact that i am not happy paying £20 for 1 pair of pads! I am a self confessed cheapskate and have no qualms admitting it.

Cheers for the info – so i just order M775 pads from SSC?

njee20
    Free Member

Yep, SSC Kevlar pads are the way forward, great bit of kit. I've got them in my Avid XXs, that's truly sacrilegious!

If you do go back to Shimano ones, they're all the same, right down to the Deore of that shape, although the part number evades me!

Mike
    Free Member

Yep, XT, SLX, XTR, old style Saint and a few others all use the same shape pad…I've a few sets of spare genuine Shimano XTR pads if interested, please drop me a mail

glenncampbell

Try this link here – the pads are absolutely fine and awfully cheap!

http://www.xcracer.com/jn_shop/viewproduct.php?productid=89

allmountain76
    Free Member

glenncampbell – missed your link and ordered the Kevlar ssc ones in the meantime. See how they go.

mike – same as above but cheers anyway.

njee20
    Free Member

I put a set of Kevlar jobbies in my brakes before the 12 hour solo at 24/12 in July. They're still in there!

zaskar
    Free Member

Should be the same except XTR has a titanium backplate for umm…

I've been using LX pads in my xtr calipers.

njee20
    Free Member

The ti ones are lighter and allegedly dissipate heat better. It makes sod all difference!

Dibbs
    Free Member

Shimano claim the 975 XTR's to be 20% harder wearing (something that appears to be true in my experience), but it still doesn't justify the £28 (£20 is for the Organics that are just a waste of time).

allmountain76
    Free Member

20% harder wearing for 5 times the cost, that adds up.

Northwind

My XTR ones had a wee bevel machined into the pad to make it "easier to fit the rotor". Woo.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Shimano M975 XTR – What pads??’ is closed to new replies.