Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Shimano M775 levers, why do they
  • PJay
    Free Member

have an RRP of £39.99 individually, but an RRP of £139.99 as a pair supplied with a few quids worth of hose and oil?

There seems to be a similar pricing structure across the board with Shimano’s individual levers vs. brake lever ‘kits’.

johnners
    Free Member

Why have you typed those prices on links pointing to items which are actually priced at £32.99 and £109.99?

STATO
    Free Member

Why have you typed those prices on links pointing to items which are actually priced at £32.99 and £109.99?

As he is quoting the RRP?

The point still stands even at the CRC prices tho, to which the answer is… idiots not looking before they buy = more profit.

Crag
    Free Member

And bizarrely just the lever blade (if you manage to get one) has a RRP of £39.99 as well.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Bent mine last year and was a rad surprised ti fine a blade cost as much as a whole lever. So I bent it back straight. 😆

takisawa2

Theres obviously a heck of a lot of profit margin in there by the time it gets to £30, but like probably all manufacturing set-ups, they will have have a manufacturing system set-up to deliver parts straight to a production facility in quantities to match a pre-planned batch quantity. It probably costs just as much to seperate, package, ship & handle a single item as it does a whole finished assembly, because they are not set-up with an inventory to handle single items through to retail. You would probably be amazed how small the raw manufacturing cost of that lever blade is, but by the time you’ve factored in material, handling & purchasing burdens your £0.50 lever blade probably becomes something like £5.

Or something like that. 😐

coatesy
    Free Member

Post removed, thought i’d worked it out, but got my hose prices mixed up. Hoses and fluid still way more than a few quid at RRP though(just shy of £57).

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

And bizarrely just the lever blade (if you manage to get one) has a RRP of £39.99 as well.

Another reason to buy Hope. Every single replacable part easily available at reasonable prices. New lever blade on CRC £15.99

PJay
    Free Member

Yes, I was quoting the RRP (shown under the CRC price) as this presumably reflects Shimano’s pricing strategy.

I’m used to paying over the odds for spares but in this case it appears to be the same complete products but buying either singley or as a pair. The only extras you seem to get with a lever ‘kit’ is some hose and oil (and perhaps olives/inserts) which hardly justifies the massive price hike.

The teeny weeny 50ml bottles of Shimano mineral oil are about £13 (£20 for a whole litre) and XT hose with inserts, nuts and olives is around the £20 mark at RRP and I’d imagine that that’s way about cost.

DezB
    Free Member

Why pay £140 for a lever with hose, when for £130 it includes a calliper? which is £70 on its own?

PJay
    Free Member

You do get two levers for your £140 and one lever/caliper for £130 I think.

DezB
    Free Member

Oh yeah.. I’d go Ebay anyway. (or Rosebikes)

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Shimano M775 levers, why do they’ is closed to new replies.