Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Shimano M575 disc brakes – improving??
  • votchy
    Free Member

These came fitted to my recent purchase and so far I am less than impressed, will be rebleeding this week but am also exploring options to improve. Would changing the caliper for a different one such as SLX improve things or would changing the lever end improve things? Looking at cheaper alternatives to buying a full set of replacement brakes. Are the different calipers and lever ends interchangeable or do they work only as a set?

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

*eats popcorn*

Wozza
    Free Member

Bleed em and add a bit more oil than you think you need in them. IE, when you’re screwing the reservoir cap down it spills out of the side.

My Deores and my XT’s got a lot better after that.

Pads are a bit variable too, Resins are good out of the box but don’t last long, metal need a bit of a drag before they get “bitey”.

bigyinn
    Free Member

TJ and Cynic-al are having a love in after last weeks events.

You can chop and change most shimano calipers and levers. However I would try a re-bleed before binning them just yet. Try a bottom up bleed (caliper to lever). Plenty of info on here, just search a bit.
    What size discs do you have? 160mm can feel abit underpowered if you’re 15+ stone.

ahwiles
    Free Member

unless the lever just feels like mush, don’t worry about bleeding them.

you’ve maybe got oil on the discs/pads, it’s easily done, especially if the lad in the shop was a bit careless with the spray-lube.

take the pads out, rub them on some cardboard – see if much black stuff comes off.

clean the discs with lots of hot water, a little washing up liquid and an old toothbrush, and lots more hot water.

votchy
    Free Member

Rotors are 180mm front and 160mm rear and I’m 16 stone 🙁 They have gotten a bit better after a couple of long down hills and hence some heat through them but they are more along the lines of preventing acceleration during a descent than actually slowing me down, need a big handful to lock the rear wheel 😯

stilltortoise
    Free Member

The biggest issue I had with these was my own stupid fault. In a bid to get my cassette clean I always ended up getting GT85 on the disc. A good wipe down with some IPA and some new pads – carefully bedded in by whizzing up and down the street – and now I really rate these brakes (for a budget brake anyway)

hainman
    Free Member

i had a set of these on my bike when i got it and they worked very well.would stop me when i wanted to be stopped but eventually my front gave up the ghost and decided to purchase some slx’s but have tp say they were very good while they lasted…..

Marge
    Free Member

575’s are the flip-flap ones right? Can go on either side…

I have one on my 1×9 winter bike & it gives great feel (easy to bleed) but not much power but maybe as mentioned here it’s the pad / disc interface that’s the issue. Haven’t tried fresh pads or cleaning the disc as yet…

thejesmonddingo

Get some IPA from your local Maplins,or a bicycle disc cleaner,and clean them as above,them smear them with mud and bed them in by getting up as much speed as possible,and stopping to a halt 10-15 times,the discs should get hot if you do it properly.This got mine working a treat.Be careful when using spray lubes on the bike,it’s frighteningly easy to contaminate the discs.Good luck.
    ian

coatesy
    Free Member

Sold quite a few of these, always need a bleed before i’m happy to let them out of the door. It’s surprising how much air is included in a factory bleed, and how much better they feel afterwards.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Shimano M575 disc brakes – improving??’ is closed to new replies.