Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Shimano M200 shoes – a quick review
  • richmtb

Hi Folks

Thought I’d share my views on the new Shimano M200 shoes that I’ve been using for a couple of months.

I paid £105 for them from CRC

Good points:
    Very stiff – they have a carbon reinforced cleat bed and you can really feel the stiffness especially when standing on the pedals.

Good cleat adjustment – Lots of for and aft adjustability of the cleat position, more than other spd shoes I’ve used.

Easy to walk in – despite being stiff there is still a bit of flex in the middle of the shoe to let you walk normally, the cleats are also almost completely isolated from the ground by the tread when walking, which stops you sliding around on the cleat on hard surfaces and sounding like you have high heels on. The sole also offers pretty good grip, I’m used to shiny plastic tread but the M200’s use a mixture of different rubber compounds and they grip well.

Good closure system – the integrated lace system is really quick to adjust and comfortable.

Good weather protection – they aren’t waterproof and don’t claim to be but the flap covering the lace system and the small number of vents does well to fend off the worst of the weather. A pair of waterproof sock would see you right for all 4 seasons I would say.

The Bad:
    All that good weather protection makes them pretty warm for summer rides. Out and out racers might want something a bit lighter and better ventilated.

The ankle protection on the inside of each shoe gets a bit scuffed up by the cranks.

The looks are a bit er different – in black they look a bit like shoes you might where to school if you went there on a special bus!

Overall though very impressed. First pair of Shimano shoes I’ve owned after Specialized and Diadora, they seem very well made but its the combination of stiffness when pedaling and ease of moving around in them off the bike that really impresses.

Fit wise, I’d suggest go a size bigger over your trainers and they are quite narrow across the toes.

richmtb

Bumped incase anyone in the eveining crew is actually interested in stuff to do with bikes 😉

teethgrinder

In the spirit of previous threads on reviews, I challenge your experience in being able to compile a subjective review of shoes (whilst only having had 7 pairs of SPD shoes since 1991 myself).

Apart from that, I found with my last Shimano SPD houses I had to go up 2 sizes – agree with the narrowness.

They do look pretty neat, though, and as you say may be a good all year option without boiling in the summer.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    huckersneck
    Free Member

Have you any further comments on these shoes, richmtb? I am looking for some new shoes and initially liked the look of these but have read/listened to some discouraging reports of the cam bockles breaking, ratched strap popping loose and the soles splitting/otherwise coming away.
    Terraduro’s, Crossmax XL’s and 2FO Cliplites are also on my potentials list.
    Cheers

warns74
    Free Member

Had mine for nearly 18 months now, they are my only pair of riding shoes and get used weekly in all conditions. Agree that the fit is narrow, but so are my feet, and you probably have to go up 1-2 sizes. Still working perfectly despite a few scuffs and scrapes, been used in the Alps, Spain, all over the uk.
    I personally didn’t like the inner sole so swapped to a specialized footbed and found them much better.
    Would happily recommend.

philxx1975
    Free Member

Bumped in case anyone in the eveining crew is actually interested in stuff to do with bikes

pah I will forward your comments to the people who ride my bikes for me

riding yourself is so noughties

huckersneck
    Free Member

Thanks for the feedback, warns 74. To hear of no problems with the sole or buckle is encouraging!

Rockplough
    Free Member

Can confirm richmtb is still using them with no issues. I myself have the base spec M089 model and no problems since I bought them 12 months ago.

orena45

Bit of a thread resurrection, but I’m currently on my 3rd pair in the space of a couple of months after the first two had issues. Giving them one last chance but I won’t be surprised if they fail again. 🙁

Review on my blog

yorkycsl
    Free Member

Bought when they were first launched & mine have both split where the sole is bonded to the rubber outer sole, that said 2 years hard use plenty of hike a bike routes on rocks.
    As soon as I can get my hands on some new ME7’s I’ll be having some.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Shimano M200 shoes – a quick review’ is closed to new replies.