Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Shimano LX 2008 brakes???
  • nuttysquirrel
    Free Member

I have seen some of these on Merlin and I really fancy some Shimano brakes. I have found the Hayes Stroker Rydes I have to be a bit “dead” feeling sometimes and I have heard they are hellish to maintain/bleed. Firstly, is this your experience? Secondly, is the offer on Merlin worth it or should I go for 2009 SLXs?

zaskar
    Free Member

SLX calipers are the same as LX.

If you want to save bucks, you’d buy the calipers for a tenner from onone then buy some SLX or LX levers?

Or just go and treat yourself with some SLX as life is short and you can hit by a bus.

nuttysquirrel
    Free Member

Maybe you’re right, although I’ve just bought some new wheels, saddle etc. etc.!! So I’ve treated myself already.

That said, if I’ve spending that much, I might just have to get these:

http://www.merlincycles.co.uk/?fn=product&productId=1060&categoryId=115

Is it worth getting 180 front or just keep to 160s, which I currently have? I have a 2008 Revelation on an One One 456 Ti, would I need IS or Post mount?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    theflatboy
    Free Member

yeah get the xt set, 180 front 160 back and be done with it!

nuttysquirrel
    Free Member

nuttysquirrel
    Free Member

I’m in but £210?!?! Might just have to buy a bike for the brakes and sell the rest of the stuff on here. Oh, I just said that out loud.

tootallpaul

Nutty, If your after some LX’s, I have a set for sale in the classifieds.

Paul

nuttysquirrel
    Free Member

Thanks but I think I’ll go for new. Anyone know if I need IS or Post?

PJay
    Free Member

I got a set as my first hydraulics and have been really pleased with them (I much prefer them to the BB7s they replace).

I did consider the SLXs but being a big biffer fancied the 180mm front rotor on the LX deal to the SLX’s 160mm each end.

I got the LX package with 6 bolt rotors for £105 which I felt was a steal but I notice that they’re now charging an extra £25 for the 6 bolt option (Centrelocks are still £105 so I guess that they’re probably harder to shift).

TheFlyingOx

How about sitting back and admiring the plethora of bikes currently adorning your garage? I’m sure you don’t need *more* bits… 😆

cynic-al
    Free Member

Thanks but I think I’ll go for new. Anyone know if I need IS or Post?

yes

BadlyWiredDog

I rode a bike with LX recently and they were bloody awful. Go for SLX if you can.

mieszko
    Free Member

I really like my new Lx brakes. Got them as I really liked my XT that I gave to my mate as I didn’t like DC levers…

Had a nice ride in the Pentlands on Friday. Good power, good modulation and I think I’ll keep them and sell my Magura Louise brakes.

Shimano should supply an IS to PM adapter, as the caliper is for Post Mount, but with the adapter You should be able to put in on a IS mount.

I`ve got a 180 disc on the front and it does the job fine. I am quite heavy so need some extra stopping power even doing xc only. Would imagine that 160 on the front if You’re light would do the job.

My friend has Lx on one bike and Stroker Rydes on the other. She prefers Strokers, but her Lx were probably still not bedded in properly.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Shimano LX 2008 brakes???’ is closed to new replies.