Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Shimano Joining Pin
  • astura
    Free Member

Easy question

I have a XT HG95 chain but need to change rear mech, is it a case of take the link out put the new shimano pin in? (or do I need to try and find the original shimano pin and pop that out to put the new one in?)

lovewookie

I’d be taking the jockey wheels out of the mech rather than splitting/rejoining. you can’t reuse a shimano pin

alternatively, replace the outer plate section and the shimano joining pin with a quick link.

(edit) jockey wheel. only need to remove the bottom one and turn the cage a bit to remove the chain.

oliverracing

Yep, you can do that although a always put a split link in my chain for easy removal. The other thing you can do for a rear mech (and what’s I’d do in your situation) is to take the outer cage off to fit then you don’t need to split the chain

EDIT: Beaten to it by a minute

cp

or do I need to try and find the original shimano pin and pop that out to put the new one in?

DON’T DO THIS! The Shimano connecting pins are one hit wonders, they are a different colour so you don’t break the chain on a joining pin.

Pop a link out and use a quick link to put it back together, any of KMC, SRAM etc… will work as long as you use the correct speed.

astura
    Free Member

Jocky wheels seems like a good idea and seems easy enough to do

astura
    Free Member

are the Shimano pins a weak point on the chain, or will I be ok just popping the jockey wheels out do a bit of re-routing.

Im guessing as long as I don’t split it, it stays strong

alexpalacefan

Just get a quick link.

APF

astura
    Free Member

I get it, locate the shimano pin take that out with chain tool replace with quick link?

prawny

Nooooo leave the shimano link in, split it anywhere else and stick a quick link in.

astura
    Free Member

Lol im making a right mess of this, why leave the shimano pin in? Is it a special type of pin

At this rate il be getting another chain 🙂

cp

It’s a special pin, you’ll wreck both bits of the link you take it out of.

Edit – it’s a wider end which deforms the link if you try to take it out.

Take any other pin out except the shimano joining pin. Then replace that link with a quick link.

tails
    Free Member

OP, you can break the chain anywhere you like and replace it with the shimano pin, you don’t need to find the original joining place to break the chain. If in doubt have a look on YouTube

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Shimano Joining Pin’ is closed to new replies.