Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Shimano jockey wheels on CRC – Help!
  • tommo999
    Free Member

Anyone know which of these will fit my XT shadow mech bottom pulley? I know it needs 11 teeth but I can’t tell what I need.
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=885

PaulD
    Free Member

Just get a set of BBB from Dotbike.

http://www.dotbike.com/p/3992

Excellent product at a bargain price of £12.82.

Better than XT as they have cartridge bearings top and bottom, clearly labelled…..more like XTR at a third of the price.

PaulD

andyl
    Free Member

The XT are ceramic bearing aren’t they which should be better. i would have said just get some basic Deore or LX 9 speed ones but they don’t seem to stock them. Very confusing.

I just use some aluminium ones from Toronto cycles – bought a load of them for friends and worked out at about £8 a pair.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    float
    Free Member

ceramic bearings in a jockey wheel 😆

andyl
    Free Member

why laugh? It does actually make sense when you consider how exposed to mud and water a jockey wheel is. What I don’t agree with is the cost of them so just use stainless steel bearings and look after them.

I would actually say it is the most sensible place for one on a bike and it seems the shimano engineers agree with that thinking.

tommo999
    Free Member

Thanks PaulD – will be making a purchase soon.

Have you seen the price of these?! £119.99 😮
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=22262

Onzadog
    Free Member

Think some people are assuming that bearing means little balls. The xt are a plain bearing (also known as a bush) and yrs, they do use ceramic.

float
    Free Member

It does actually make sense when you consider how exposed to mud and water a jockey wheel is

ah didnt think about that. im presuming though that the races are still stainless steel as 100% cearmic bearings are hideously expensive.

andyl
    Free Member

I think my XT ones had a ceramic race with a ceramic bush that had slots at every 90 degrees. They also provide float which is needed in the top jockey wheel. Bushes do make sense in a lot of applications compared to ball bearings. But they do seem to take the p*** with the cost.

WiretownMan
    Free Member

Decathlon sell Tacx with stainless steel bearings for £8 pair.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Interesting. I was about to ask about the tacx stainless ones.

PaulD
    Free Member

The original XT is a porcelain ceramic bush which has float and can be run dry….but it has more drag than a cartridge.
    BBB are stainless cartridges that need grease. The top/guide pulley has a floating mount, so in my opinion is the winning ticket.
    I always dismantle and fill any bearing with grease before fitting…preferably synthetic grease that is not soap+oil that will wash out or dry out.
    100% success so far…only 40 years maintenance experience.

PaulD

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Shimano jockey wheels on CRC – Help!’ is closed to new replies.