Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Shimano ice tech rotors, are they worth the extra weight?
  • damascus
    Free Member

I’ve been given a set of ice tech rotors 180mm which weigh 148g on my scales.

Being a bit of a weight weenie they are around 30g heavier each rotor.

Marginal gains and all that.

Will I notice the difference? Are they worth the extra weight?

Cheers

scaredypants

have you ever boiled your brake fluid ?

damascus
    Free Member

Coming down walna scar bike packing there was definitely something cooking

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    cynic-al
    Free Member

How much is 60gm worth?

wallop

60g? Really!?

darrenspink
    Free Member

Yes. 60g? Have a poo before you ride.

thegreatape
    Free Member

A poo? Just blow your nose.

damascus
    Free Member

I’ve got a decent set of ashima rotors on at the moment, just wondering is it worth changing for the extra performance vs the extra weight?

Thanks

matts
    Free Member

On what kind of bike?

If you don’t already think they might be worthwhile for *your* riding, then they probably aren’t needed.

nikk
    Free Member

Presumably, you are both sesible enough to know you should have a shite and blow your nose ANYWAY? Therefore it is an additional 60 grams. Doesn’t sound like a massive amount by itself, but when building a light bike, it all adds up.

In any case, to the question, the Shimanos are known to melt when they get really got, so as well as being heavier, they are also rubbish.

damascus
    Free Member

Salsa horsethief 29er that I use for everything from xc, snowdon, trail centres and bike packing etc.

I’m guessing they are not worth the extra weight then?

Northwind

If you think you’ll benefit ie you’re overheating your brakes and suffering performance loss then it’s probably worth the weight, otherwise not. (None of my brakes need fancy rotors or silly pads etc to work properly, if they did I’d replace them with better brakes rather than put a sticking plaster on it, ymmv.)

Rich_s

Whatever option you take, don’t forget to adjust the pressures in your forks and shock. That 60g unsprung weight can have a huge impact on your suspension ‘tune’ which can be quickly rectified by tweaking your compression and rebound dampers.

rickmeister

Use your already fitted brakes and dot 5.1 fluid

darrenspink
    Free Member

darrenspink » Yes. 60g? Have a poo before you ride.
    thegreatape » A poo? Just blow your nose.
    Presumably, you are both sesible enough to know you should have a shite and blow your nose ANYWAY? Therefore it is an additional 60 grams. Doesn’t sound like a massive amount by itself, but when building a light bike, it all adds up.
    In any case, to the question, the Shimanos are known to melt when they get really got, so as well as being heavier, they are also rubbish.

I’d like to know where in west yorkshire you have a long enough descent to melt rotors 🙂

woodster

Personally I thought my Ashima rotors were garbage and ice-tech ones were decent, so i’d go for it.

If you’ve been given them, then why not try them out and if you don’t like them simply swap back.

Goldigger
    Free Member

I melted mine doing a rolling endo for a mile… 😀

andyl
    Free Member

. Use your already fitted brakes and dot 5.1 fluid

Or just some decent dot 4 with a higher performance than 5.1 😉

Personally I stick with standard shimano XT. Tried lightweight rotors, didn’t rate them, didn’t trust them. Ice tech is fine if you don’t mind the risk of premature failure and thin wear surfaces and higher cost.

No dodgy wear patterns that I have seen on other brands and nice stiff spiders to keep them true.

Dibbs
    Free Member

Use your already fitted brakes and dot 5.1 fluid

Not if they’re Shimano. 😯

P-Jay
    Free Member

I personally don’ think they’re worth the money, I’ve never really considered the weight of them.

I’m sure the Icetech Discs and fancy finned pads have some effect on cooling, but after a week in the Alps on Boggo Deore, non-finned pads and discs I’m not sure in which blazing fiery corner of hell you’d need them. My boring old non-cooled braked worked perfectly and exactly the same way on the first run and the last.

sandwicheater

Slight highjack OP, have you got a frame bag for your Horsethief?

Got one (Horsethief) last year and have a few trips planned this year. Would be interested in your set up for bike packing.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Not if they’re Shimano.

Shimano meeting – “Why let people use good quality Dot Fluid like Castrol SRF, when we can sell them finned pads and rotors with aluminium cores that melt on long descents”

GregMay
    Free Member

Yes they are worth it. Owner of a Spearfish. Which is a more weight weeny bike and it has them.

tomhoward

A poo? Just blow your nose.

If you don’t need to blow your nose…

Clip your nails
    Have a shave (if your clean shaven on your face/a girl, be a bit more creative)
    Go gloveless.

Kryton57

damascus – Member
    I’ve got a decent set of ashima rotors on at the moment, just wondering is it worth changing for the extra performance vs the extra weight?

Not unless you are riding downhill and even then…. I went from icetecs to Quaxar rotors, saving 180g for a pair IIRC, and just a minor discernable reduction in performance.

fxrextreme
    Free Member

If you save 30grams off 20 separate components,that’s nearly a pound and a half!
    Its almost impossible for non believers to be persuaded around to the weight weenie point of view though!

Kryton57

It’s rotating weight also, so worth more in weenie-points.

darrenspink
    Free Member

if you save 30grams off 20 separate components,that’s nearly a pound and a half!

Wow, thats like a bunch of bananas.

honourablegeorge

If you’re surviving on Ashima rotors, you probably don’t need Ice Tec

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Shimano ice tech rotors, are they worth the extra weight?’ is closed to new replies.